Homemade Yogurt **Updated** Cheese and Buttermilk

I have been making my own yogurt for awhile now using the standard way of adding powdered milk to make it thicker. Now I have access to whole fresh farm milk & am wondering if I make it using alot of the cream from my fresh milk, do I still need to add the powdered milk? Will I still get thick yogurt? Hope someone out there can answer my questions.

Quote:
I can only tell you how I did it....I took off the cream from the fresh milk to make my butter so I always add the powdered milk to make it thick. I never tried it just using the cream. Maybe someone will know?

I hear ya ozark hen---I did that too with my first gallon of fresh milk!! I made some butter and then when I tried to make some whipping cream for a pie, I whipped that cream too long and got butter then too. But that was ok by me! I now have about a quart of cream that I need to use & want to make a batch of yogurt so hope someone can tell me if I need to use the powdered milk if I use lots of that good thick cream to make it.

So I made my first batch of homemade yogurt. The chickens couldn't eat it fast enough, jumping all over each other in their frenzy to eat as much as possible as fast as possible. There were yogurt sprays in the air, and some of them came out of the foray looking like this. But this one didn't stop. He was just coming up for air before plowing is face back into the bowl.

This may have been covered somewhere in this thread, so I apologize if I am repeating an already answered question. Can you use store bought milk to make yogurt? I do not have access to fresh milk unless I arrange it with my brother who lives over 2 hours away. I am still looking for local resources.

This may have been covered somewhere in this thread, so I apologize if I am repeating an already answered question. Can you use store bought milk to make yogurt? I do not have access to fresh milk unless I arrange it with my brother who lives over 2 hours away. I am still looking for local resources.

Yes, but with an exception. If it is just homogenized you can use it but if it is ultrahomogenized you cannot.

Yes, store bought milk works just fine. I usually use Barber's 2% milk (to me it tastes the same as using whole milk. Adding the powdered milk makes it plenty thick.) I've also used the cheaper store brand milk and really can't tell the difference in the resulting yogurt. The most important part seems to be using a good innoculant -- I use Stonyfield Farm plain yogurt, and mine ends up tasting just like theirs.

Have fun!

-Wendy

Once you use the store bought yogurt to start your own homemade yogurt could you not then take two tablespoons from your homemade batch and feed your next batch? Much like keeping sour dough starter going?

Stoneyfeild farms is the brand name of an organic yogurt -one of the better yogurts available in my area. Yes it is yogurt and it is full of live cultures which you need to make your own yogurt. You can buy powdered/freeze dried cultures to make yogurt as well. I just prefer to use the organic brand with 6 different cultures in it. It tastes good, it is easy to pick up a cup at the grocery store and it can be frozen and used later to start another batch of yogurt. With a quart of good organic yogurt you can culture a few gallons of milk to make your own delicious yogurt at home for a fraction of the cost of the commercial yogurts.

Back
Top Bottom