Homemade Yogurt **Updated** Cheese and Buttermilk

|Hi Sharona, yes, Stoneyfield is the actual yogurt. I went to the health food store and found it in the fridge of course, ha. I also got the freeze dried yogurt starter just to be on the safe side. LOL I cannot believe how good the homemade yogurt is!!
Miss Prissy, congrats!! You need to start entering more things since you have all of us testing your recipes and they are wonderful. You do have your own "fan club" now.
yippiechickie.gif

Thanks for the quick reply. Now I can head to the store in the morning and know exactly what I'm looking for!

I can't wait to try this. I mentioned it to my husband and first thing he said was "maybe it will help your tummy" - great minds eh?
gig.gif

(edited because I can't spell past midnite!)

Last edited:
no kidding on the stomach thing. I use to take Nexium all the time but since my daughter suggested I start eating yogurt...big difference! My DH and I just about finished off the quart jar I made this afternoon. LOL There is just a tiny bit left in the bottom of the jar. I told him, "this can't be GOOD for us." LOL I am not kidding..it is delicious. Like I have said over and over in this thread...I was not a yogurt person. I sure am now.
wink.png
Good luck tomorrow and have fun.

Thank you, thank you, everyone!

Quote:
Damson is an english plum which was very popular in the victorian era. It is super tart and only good for cooking with huge amounts of sugar. During the depression with a lack of sugar it sort of became forgotten. My trees are 90+ years old. We have tried to take extra special care of them because they are still bearing fruit every year. They usually do not bear but for 20 years or less.

I am glad you like the muffin recipe! I am also glad the good yogurt is making everyone healthy and more happy!
smile.png

MissPrissy,
Thanks for explaining what damson jam is to me. Kinda sounds like crab apples, although diff. texture but you still have to add tons of sugar to balance tartness. Sounds like you have quite a lot of history on your property. I love your house and (saw your website) the year in pics was done very nicely! Keep posting your fav recipes as I love to "bake" people happy!!!
smile.png

Ozark Hen,
Yea for you and your yogurt. Made another batch 2 hours ago, this time I kept a careful eye on the cool down temp. Maybe I was letting it get too cool too quickly! I will try the frozen cultures next.
And yes I do love it here in Alaska. I think it is a place so full of awesome beauty and freshness and wilderness. I was born and raised here (I'm 1/2 AK Native and my boys are a 1/4) and I don't forsee leaving AK permanently anytime soon. There are so many places in AK that I still haven't even seen!!! The only drawback is the long winter season and the little daylight we'll get in the winter. During the summer (which is very short) we get long days of daylight. Yesterday we got 17 hrs 21 minutes of light. We are losing daylight by about 5 minutes a day since June. Anyways, it is just so pretty here.

Do you like it in MO? My son (stepson) does not like it there. He says it's not very scenic and there isn't much to do in Dixon. He's used to being surrounded by mountains and things like that. His other family is military and has been stationed there for almost a year. Are there mountains around? What do most people from there do for a favorite pasttime?

I love how chickens and good food (recipes) have brought so many different people together!!

Have a good day all!!

Donna

Didn't get to the health food store today but headed there after work tomorrow.

So I didn't miss the cheesemaking did I?

Last edited:
Oh good! I was hoping y'all didn't do cheese without me! I got the mozzarella/ricotta kit from New England Cheese Supply, and bought the milk, and have been thinking about jumping on in and following their instructions. I had to wait til after this weekend, though. We put on a big b-day bash for DH yesterday so I've kinda had my hands full. I wanted to check out some books on cheesemaking from the library, and they had ONE cheesemaking book in the whole entire Jacksonville Library system, which is like 20 branches, and has to be a million books at least, and that book is all the history of cheese & the science behind it. I'm reading it anyway. The only other cheese books they had were about cooking with, and serving cheese, and how to buy different kinds! I couldn't believe it. OK, when are we doing cheese?
big_smile.png

I am waiting, too, on the cheese making. Miss Prissy has been very busy with her new goats.
wink.png

Donna, you should post some photos of your place as I have never been there or anywhere near it. I watch the series on the Discovery channel for the crab fishing in AK. I have also bought two books written by Spike Walker on the adventures up there. Wow, too much "adventure" for me.
gig.gif

Anyway, please post some photos on your personal page. I will continue this in an email so I don't take up a lot of space on this thread.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom