Homemade Yogurt **Updated** Cheese and Buttermilk

Just catching up on this thread and wanted to comment on giving the yogurt to your chickens and the mess they can make with it.

I have FINALLY figured out what to do with the zuchinni at the end of the season when everyone is sick to death of zuchinni bread/cookies/cake/soup/and every-else-I-can-hide-it-in-to-make-them-eat-it - and am out of freezer space. I finally decided to start adding it to the yogurt for the chickens. I used shredded zuchinni and mixed it with the yogurt- and they LOVE it! Not only do they go crazy for it - it's much less messy.

Hope this helps.

Penny

As for the evaporated milk vs. powdered: I don't add anything to my yogurt and it's plenty thick. I let it sit overnight and get great results ever since I started using the Safeway brand yogurt.

Go fig!

Okay, so I'm new AND slow, but OMG! Thanks for sharing the yogurt recipe; DH and DD like yogurt but are both picky and the store is expensive. DH grew up in Europe with a whole different type of yogurt than we get here. I'm trying this tomorrow (and making it "custom" for the picky 2-legged children), and maybe we'll share it with the feathered kids too.

Quote:
unless you make a whole lot of yogurt today..........no way will you have left overs to feed the chickens.
lau.gif

We are an Army family who have served overseas in Europe, mainly Germany, for many years, so we have been rather spoilt as far as cheese and yogurt goes. Now we are in Northern Ireland and no one will eat the yogurt from the store so we just stopped having it.

I tried your recipe last night, its amazing! I gave some to my German neighbours and they couldn't believe you could make such great German yogurt at home
gig.gif
You can imagine their faces when I told them it was an American recipe, they were speechless
lau.gif

Thanks Miss P.

I finally tried the yogurt recipe last weekend and it was fantastic! It's already gone! My husband is not a plain yogurt fan, so this weekend I'm going to try mixing up a batch for him with a little maple syrup and vanilla. The Vermont special!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom