Homesteader's Delight

Day 4-7

They are all doing wonderfully except the one chick who's been weak all along. She takes herself to eat and drink, but she is certainly not thriving like the others. All the chicks are growing, playing, and feathering out, but she isn't growing, sleeps a lot, and has little sad feathers. I'm beginning to think putting her down may be necessary...
sad.png
My parents agree. I'll be gone all day tomorrow, but if she's not acting any better Thursday morning, I think that might be the kindest thing to do...

I (VERY GENTLY) vent-sexed the waterfowl and it seems that they are all girls aside from the dark colored gosling. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with it, but he's the meanest. I've had to keep a close eye on him cause he keeps trying to pick on the little guys. I haven't noticed him do it today, so hopefully he's straightened out.

• I've put their feeder and waterer on a board, to elevate it. This has really helped keep their water clean!
  • I've started giving them Brewer's Yeast. Yesterday I crushed up and sprinkled 1 tablet on their food. I'll have to research how much exactly is enough.
  • A cold-front came through so I haven't let any of the goslings or ducklings outside yet. I'm waiting till it warms back up.
These are two chicks that are feathering out nicely. Any ideas on what kind they could be?

Poult #1 napping peacefully in my lap. I'm still not sure rather he's Wild, Broad-breasted OR Standard Bronze, or possibly Narragansett.

Poult #2 has only a couple feathers and I think he/she looks silly.
tongue.png

Gosling #1 is the naughty little guy who's going into time-out if he's caught picking on the little ones again. Since (as you'll see below) I believe the 2nd gosling is a White Chinese, I'm hoping this one is a Brown Chinese.

Gosling #2 I'm thinking she's a White Chinese because of the low nostrils on her beak. She looks very similar to other pictures I've seen on BYC of a White Chinese gosling. Thoughts?

Duckling #1 This little one is so tiny! She's almost the size of the chicks but has quite a spunky attitude.

Duckling #2

Questions:
  1. If the chick needs to be put down, what is the quickest, most human way to do it?
  2. If she's eating and drinking by herself, is that reason enough to let her live? I just don't want her to be suffering if she's gonna die anyway.
I'm not interested in gassing or drowning her, that doesn't sound very humane to me. Also, I'm not sure I could bring myself to actually wring her neck. I've heard of decapitating, so any thoughts on this are appreciated...

Thank you!

I believe the chicks are sex links. My sex links looked like that when they started feathering.
I don't think I would have the heart to put a chick down unless I absolutely knew it was suffering. And I agree that drowning and gassing it both sound horrific. Chopping it's head off can leave it still running around until it starves or dehydrates. The longest living headless chicken was a whole 18 months!
http://www.miketheheadlesschicken.org/history

Day 8

The weak chick passed away sometime in the night.
hit.gif
I'm thankful, though, that she isn't struggling anymore.

Now at least all the others are doing equally well. They all run around playing, chase after each other when I give them a treat, and are growing so fast. I love them!
love.gif

Day 4-7

They are all doing wonderfully except the one chick who's been weak all along. She takes herself to eat and drink, but she is certainly not thriving like the others. All the chicks are growing, playing, and feathering out, but she isn't growing, sleeps a lot, and has little sad feathers. I'm beginning to think putting her down may be necessary...
sad.png
My parents agree. I'll be gone all day tomorrow, but if she's not acting any better Thursday morning, I think that might be the kindest thing to do...

I (VERY GENTLY) vent-sexed the waterfowl and it seems that they are all girls aside from the dark colored gosling. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with it, but he's the meanest. I've had to keep a close eye on him cause he keeps trying to pick on the little guys. I haven't noticed him do it today, so hopefully he's straightened out.

• I've put their feeder and waterer on a board, to elevate it. This has really helped keep their water clean!
  • I've started giving them Brewer's Yeast. Yesterday I crushed up and sprinkled 1 tablet on their food. I'll have to research how much exactly is enough.
  • A cold-front came through so I haven't let any of the goslings or ducklings outside yet. I'm waiting till it warms back up.
These are two chicks that are feathering out nicely. Any ideas on what kind they could be?

Poult #1 napping peacefully in my lap. I'm still not sure rather he's Wild, Broad-breasted OR Standard Bronze, or possibly Narragansett.

Poult #2 has only a couple feathers and I think he/she looks silly.
tongue.png

Gosling #1 is the naughty little guy who's going into time-out if he's caught picking on the little ones again. Since (as you'll see below) I believe the 2nd gosling is a White Chinese, I'm hoping this one is a Brown Chinese.

Gosling #2 I'm thinking she's a White Chinese because of the low nostrils on her beak. She looks very similar to other pictures I've seen on BYC of a White Chinese gosling. Thoughts?

Duckling #1 This little one is so tiny! She's almost the size of the chicks but has quite a spunky attitude.

Duckling #2

Questions:
  1. If the chick needs to be put down, what is the quickest, most human way to do it?
  2. If she's eating and drinking by herself, is that reason enough to let her live? I just don't want her to be suffering if she's gonna die anyway.
I'm not interested in gassing or drowning her, that doesn't sound very humane to me. Also, I'm not sure I could bring myself to actually wring her neck. I've heard of decapitating, so any thoughts on this are appreciated...

Thank you!
I can't provide ID's, but to your idea of letting the duck/goslings swim- they need to be almost or fully feather 1st. Your wanting on a functional oil gland, since Momma duck can't spread her oils on them. How do you know when the oil gland is working? after 4 to 6 weeks when they play in water you'll see the water bead up on their feathers. If they get wet before the oil gland works-to un water log them, dry off and put under a heat lamp to allow to fully dry.

Last edited:
I can't provide ID's, but to your idea of letting the duck/goslings swim- they need to be almost or fully feather 1st. Your wanting on a functional oil gland, since Momma duck can't spread her oils on them. How do you know when the oil gland is working? after 4 to 6 weeks when they play in water you'll see the water bead up on their feathers. If they get wet before the oil gland works-to un water log them, dry off and put under a heat lamp to allow to fully dry.

That's what I've been doing to make sure they dry off completely. I don't fill it past where they can reach, either. They just love the water so much I hate to not allow them some playtime.

Growing up I had baby ducklings that we hatched in an incubator and they imprinted on me. They would follow me into our pond and swim for a little while until they got tired and they absolutely loved it. The temperatures were in the "hell's kitchen" range so being wet wasn't much of a problem for them and probably helped with temp regulation in that case, but in this kind of weather I'd be worried about the little guys getting cold. Especially if your weather has been as crazy as ours where one day it's 85 then the next its 30.

Edited for typo.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom