Homesteaders

Wow!! lot's of posts in just the two days I have not logged in... Good debate.. It's raining here now, so glad I pulled the weeds around the strawberries and gooseberry bushes. The wild black berries are ripening and my 4yr old wants to start picking but they need a bit more time to turn from the current red color. She calls them bumble berries.

I candled a few eggs under the broody hens and they look good. Tossed three. Which is fine since there are many. I just hope more of the Marans eggs hatch. I also hope the weather cools off a bit so things do not get too hot.

barnie.gif
I have all my fingers and good tasting home grown chickens LOL

Seems like a very defensive post for someone that has never lost a finger or had one surgically reattached..... just sayin...

hu.gif
What??

You know that one chick that starts showing itself to be of a more pleasing size and shape than all the others? If one is fortunate, they will see many of those in the yearly offerings, but usually I only see the one and a few also rans. Well....I found her...or him...whatever the case may be. With these WRs it's usually very difficult to tell until around the 4-5th mo. whether you have a girl or a guy on your hands.

I'm sure hoping this one is a girl. She's got that pleasing gravy bowl shape, great tail and heavy breast, long back and good head. I'll try to get a pic of her soon and then a pic of one of the rabble so you can see how different she is.

The garden is coming along, growing as well as it can in this second year of BTE. Put up another Jap beetle trap this morning....they've been attacking my taters, rhubarb and apple trees.

Laying is picking back up since the broody scourge I had this season, wherein I had 9 out of 13 hens go broody at one point or other. Three are currently raising or done raising their hatches and one lost her entire hatch to a black snake. The others were penned until the desire for brooding went away and two broodies disappeared into the deep green of the forest to do their brooding, ne'er to return. One was my big egg layer, so hated to see her go...but if they persist in establishing nests way outside the dog's boundaries, they will eventually get picked up by the local grey fox or coyote pack.

That's called survival...the wary and intelligent birds get to pass along their genetics and those that are not, do not. Out here, it's necessary for flock development to breed for survival instincts, so that all fits well into my free range methods. It may seem harsh to some, but to me it makes perfect sense....I live in the middle of thousands of acres of woodland and have the only flock of chickens for miles, so I need to have some pretty savvy chickens if I want to have any at all.

hu.gif
What??

You know that one chick that starts showing itself to be of a more pleasing size and shape than all the others? If one is fortunate, they will see many of those in the yearly offerings, but usually I only see the one and a few also rans. Well....I found her...or him...whatever the case may be. With these WRs it's usually very difficult to tell until around the 4-5th mo. whether you have a girl or a guy on your hands.

I'm sure hoping this one is a girl. She's got that pleasing gravy bowl shape, great tail and heavy breast, long back and good head. I'll try to get a pic of her soon and then a pic of one of the rabble so you can see how different she is.

The garden is coming along, growing as well as it can in this second year of BTE. Put up another Jap beetle trap this morning....they've been attacking my taters, rhubarb and apple trees.

Laying is picking back up since the broody scourge I had this season, wherein I had 9 out of 13 hens go broody at one point or other. Three are currently raising or done raising their hatches and one lost her entire hatch to a black snake. The others were penned until the desire for brooding went away and two broodies disappeared into the deep green of the forest to do their brooding, ne'er to return. One was my big egg layer, so hated to see her go...but if they persist in establishing nests way outside the dog's boundaries, they will eventually get picked up by the local grey fox or coyote pack.

That's called survival...the wary and intelligent birds get to pass along their genetics and those that are not, do not. Out here, it's necessary for flock development to breed for survival instincts, so that all fits well into my free range methods. It may seem harsh to some, but to me it makes perfect sense....I live in the middle of thousands of acres of woodland and have the only flock of chickens for miles, so I need to have some pretty savvy chickens if I want to have any at all.

I wish you luck on your special chick. Every time I find one like that it ends up being a boy....

My laying is picking up too I had 23 eggs last night, not counting my setting eggs.

I

hu.gif
What??

It doesn't seem harsh at all. It does seem foolish though. After all these are domesticated chickens not wild turkeys. Seems to me if David could kill a bear and a lion that were attacking the flock he was in charge of, the least I can do is work to keep my chickens safe. I'd rather follow Davids example of keeping a flock.

When Big Delores got taken by a fox I followed the feathers into the woods, found her and brought her back. She recovered to lay many eggs and hatch chicks. The fox ran off.

1Sa 17:34

And David said unto Saul, Thy servant kept his father's sheep, and there came a lion, and a bear, and took a lamb out of the flock:

copyChkboxOff.gif
1Sa 17:35

And I went out after him, and smote him, and delivered it out of his mouth: and when he arose against me, I caught him by his beard, and smote him, and slew him.

It doesn't seem harsh at all. It does seem foolish though. After all these are domesticated chickens not wild turkeys. Seems to me if David could kill a bear and a lion that were attacking the flock he was in charge of, the least I can do is work to keep my chickens safe. I'd rather follow Davids example of keeping a flock.

When Big Delores got taken by a fox I followed the feathers into the woods, found her and brought her back. She recovered to lay many eggs and hatch chicks. The fox ran off.

1Sa 17:34

And David said unto Saul, Thy servant kept his father's sheep, and there came a lion, and a bear, and took a lamb out of the flock:

copyChkboxOff.gif
1Sa 17:35

And I went out after him, and smote him, and delivered it out of his mouth: and when he arose against me, I caught him by his beard, and smote him, and slew him.

Seeing as how David actually witnessed these attacks, I'm sure he was able to take action. Since I've never seen a fox take one of my chickens, it's kind of hard to do so.
wink.png

Seems foolish to you, maybe. I provide shelter, food and adequate protection within the boundaries of the dogs protection and even some measure beyond is enough to keep foxes away from the central living area. Beyond that, the chickens are fair game for predation. I've never seen any fox take my chickens or I would no doubt follow up on that trail, but I can safely assume they've been eaten if they do not return to the coop at night. Since I've lost a total of 2 birds in 40 yrs of free ranging to unknown predators such as a possible fox or coyote, I don't think of it as foolish at all.

You may have different goals for your flock, so your methods seem right to you...though they seem very foolish to me, I might add.

I work to develop a flock that can survive on free range in the middle of the woods, so my methods seem perfectly adequate for my needs. While your chickens may be domesticated, mine are only so to a certain degree and I'm working to develop a flock that's even less domesticated as I go along. These aren't pets, they are a working flock that must produce their own food and their own offspring as independently from my help as possible if I'm to keep food and operation costs to a manageable rate.

As such, breeding birds that are wise enough to avoid straying far into the woods is pretty important....not only is it not foolish, but it's imperative that I allow those genetics to express themselves in the nature of these birds if I'm to weed out those that will produce offspring that are natural survivors. I can't be hovering over these birds at all times to see if they are safe...I depend upon God, the dogs and their own instincts to keep them safe. Thus far it's been as successful or more so than those people who keep pet flocks in pens when it comes to predators taking them.

Each to his own methods and goals for the flock.

Seeing as how David actually witnessed these attacks, I'm sure he was able to take action. Since I've never seen a fox take one of my chickens, it's kind of hard to do so.
wink.png

Seems foolish to you, maybe. I provide shelter, food and adequate protection within the boundaries of the dogs protection and even some measure beyond is enough to keep foxes away from the central living area. Beyond that, the chickens are fair game for predation. I've never seen any fox take my chickens or I would no doubt follow up on that trail, but I can safely assume they've been eaten if they do not return to the coop at night. Since I've lost a total of 2 birds in 40 yrs of free ranging to unknown predators such as a possible fox or coyote, I don't think of it as foolish at all.

You may have different goals for your flock, so your methods seem right to you...though they seem very foolish to me, I might add.

I work to develop a flock that can survive on free range in the middle of the woods, so my methods seem perfectly adequate for my needs. While your chickens may be domesticated, mine are only so to a certain degree and I'm working to develop a flock that's even less domesticated as I go along. These aren't pets, they are a working flock that must produce their own food and their own offspring as independently from my help as possible if I'm to keep food and operation costs to a manageable rate.

As such, breeding birds that are wise enough to avoid straying far into the woods is pretty important....not only is it not foolish, but it's imperative that I allow those genetics to express themselves in the nature of these birds if I'm to weed out those that will produce offspring that are natural survivors. I can't be hovering over these birds at all times to see if they are safe...I depend upon God, the dogs and their own instincts to keep them safe. Thus far it's been as successful or more so than those people who keep pet flocks in pens when it comes to predators taking them.

Each to his own methods and goals for the flock.

The point was that David took care of his flock. He kept watch over them. Leaving them to be, fair game, or preyed upon is wrong. I had hoped to convince you not to do so, but it looks as though I was wrong too.
hmm.png

Last edited:
The point was that David took care of his flock. He kept watch over them. Leaving them to be, fair game, or preyed upon is wrong. I had hoped to convince you not to do so, but it looks as though I was wrong too.
hmm.png

th.gif
Again, you've missed the point entirely and seem bent on picking a fight. What do you think the dogs are for????? They aren't pets either...they are working dogs that protect the chickens within their boundary and ward off predators even outside the boundary. Whatever in the world makes you think I don't watch over my chickens?????
th.gif
I have the best predator deterrent system one can have in a free range system...two dogs, lots of good cover, plenty of food close up and in the boundary and a flock development strategy that includes breeding for chickens that do well on free range...as in do well to survive. That's where the whole method comes in.

Yes, you are wrong. I am not leaving my chickens out there strolling around willy nilly to get eaten...it's called free range and it's the natural life of a chicken as God intended it but they have several avenues of defense~me and my gun and my very presence, the shelter of their coop, the dogs on patrol 24/7, plenty of cover and their own instincts.

I imagine David watched over his flock of sheep because he didn't have dogs to do so....that's what shepherds did back then and what they were for. Now people use dogs for that purpose, much like I'm using these chicken dogs.

Unfortunately, on occasion there will be a hen that establishes a nest far out in the woods where the dogs nor I can find her nor protect her and she will meet her end because I cannot protect her there. Then that foolish hen's genetics are eliminated from the flock and rightly so.

I consider my flock much safer than one kept in a coop and run situation any ol' day.

My flock is free range and very happy. My 3 Roos sound the alarm and my dog attacks. My birds start life out as cage birds and gradually learn to protect each other. I currently have 3 separate flocks.

1 consists of 19 hens and 3 Roos. They are all right at a year. They have total freedom from sun up to sun down. They have free choice feed and calcium available in and out of the coop.

2nd is my grow out group. They range from 3 months to 6 weeks. They have a huge coop/run setup and the 3 month Olds free range from late afternoon until bed. The babies watch the older group from the safety of a cage.

The 3rd group is my "goof troop" or "Broken Bird Barnyard " or whatever you want to call it. It has a roo with Crooked feet, he's 1 year old. A blind 3 year old hen. A duck with wry neck and a trio of mille de flure. Oh and a Dutch bunny.

I don't think @Beekissed is out of line at all in how HER homestead raises it's flock. I also don't think @rancher hicks is out of line with his method. However!!! Rancher STOP JUDGING EVERYONE!!! This is 2 threads in 1 month you have called people "bad flock owners " because they don't do it yourself way. Dude seriously get a life.

Ok I'm done with this. Back to grown up stuff.

Back
Top Bottom