Homesteaders

Pics
We live in a small <500sq/ft log cabin. The first year we were here we had to buy some wood, but last year Hurricane Sandy called in and now we have enough downed wood for 2-3 years. A couple of years ago I went to learn how to chop down trees properly - very educational. Now I can safely take down a tree.....we use a small front loader to haul the trees in, but I would really like to get a semi-retired mule to do this. Maybe in next years budget.......... Sue

I hope to get a chainsaw for Christmas but will most likely have to buy my own. There are a number of trees that need to come down before they fall down.
We don't use wood but I'd like them down before something bad happens. They must be over 100' tall.

Plus there are some smaller trees I'd like to thin out.

Where did you take your course?

NYFOA.com usually has a course called 'the game of logging' part 1 will be sufficient for what you need I think. It's basic but enough for the average person. I can't remember how much it cost, but it was very reasonable. My only complaint was that I was the only woman there, so I kept getting 'the look' from the instructor - like, what are you doing here. I had previously read a book by Brian & Jen Ruth on chainsaw care etc. which was quite instructional for me (a novice). Sue

NYFOA.com usually has a course called 'the game of logging' part 1 will be sufficient for what you need I think. It's basic but enough for the average person. I can't remember how much it cost, but it was very reasonable. My only complaint was that I was the only woman there, so I kept getting 'the look' from the instructor - like, what are you doing here. I had previously read a book by Brian & Jen Ruth on chainsaw care etc. which was quite instructional for me (a novice). Sue

I used to get that look and still do. I'm not tall, muscular or covered with hair. It's been said I'm built like a girl. Still I manage to do a lot of things. Don't let it get to you. Just surround yourself with good people.

It's kinda hard for me even here. We don't get to many guys. I guess it comes from women always being assigned to take care of the chickens. As if they didn't have enough to do.

Last edited:
HAha!! Us women get to idle gossip if we're not chained to the kitchen sink
gig.gif
I used to be bothered by it, but now it just brings out the worst in me - I can play dumb for as long as it takes for them to realize they are being 'taken'. It has become an enjoyable game.........

HAha!! Us women get to idle gossip if we're not chained to the kitchen sink
gig.gif
I used to be bothered by it, but now it just brings out the worst in me - I can play dumb for as long as it takes for them to realize they are being 'taken'. It has become an enjoyable game.........
Not sure I understand what you're saying but I belong to a large church and believe me some men can be just as big a gossip as some women.

Me I don't carry it, cuz we've been taught how stories change with the telling. That's one good thing about our pastor, he won't have it.
wink.png

Gossip is lies and lies is not true, but you can make up the truth if you know how - Edith Ann (paraphrased)

I've looked in to taking a logging class. Actually, in my area they have one specifically geared toward women as well as an auto mechanics class. However...I am really into bartering. So this past year I made a deal with a couple (man & wife) who sell a lot of firewood as a side job. For every truck load of uncut wood they brought me, they got a truck for themselves. I got six huge loads. They loaned me their 22 ton log splitter and I happily spilt and stacked wood all summer long.

Next year (my second year of homesteading) they are taking me out in the woods and teaching me how to down my own trees. By the third year I should be totally self-sufficent in the home heating department!

Bartering has been a wonderful tool for me to leverage...especially being a single lady who is new to homesteading. I have lots of firewood, a 1/4 beef and a 1/2 hog in the freezer, fresh venison, and someone to maintain the grass of my property. I'm already lining up bartering deals for next year.

Good for you Butterfly! Bartering is a wonderful alternative, especially since the Govt. can't exactly tax the goods etc. we 'exchange' with our neighbors all the time! My dad wasn't perfect, but he taught me many basic skills which have been invaluable over the last few years. Sue

We have two woodstoves in our modern home the we use for heat. We use the propane furnace as back-up/make-up heat - especially during the fall and spring when the temps swing so much that a fire in the stove is too much but you need a little something. We burn about 7 cord of wood per winter.

We were planning on having the house sold by now, so we never put up any wood ... spent our time tying to get our remodeling projects done so we could get it on the market. We had approx 1 1/4 cord of uncut logs - 4 foot long - that we hauled last summer but never got cut and stacked. Now that the house is not going on the market till spring, I am scrambling to get firewood for winter. The stuff in the backyard is split, stacked and 1/4 gone already! DH is down at our friendly ranchers cutting up the beetle killed wood and I will be helping haul it home tomorrow. We have really great friends in the neighborhood who lent us his log splitter - he gets to use our tractor with a cab during the winter to clear his drive, so it works out for both of us. They are also my recipients when I make bread and have an extra loaf.

Back
Top Bottom