Homesteaders

Wanted to mention. I saw forsale on one of the sites a Yard Stick with measured holes for space planting seeds. I thought, heck I can drill a hole. I intend to by a yard stick or two and drill my the holes myself and same some money.

Too I'm going to try to make my own seed tape for planting carrots. Still haven't heard about how many carrots I need to plant to get 60 pounds. Anyone?

OH and who here has planted the "rainbow" carrots? How do they taste compared to the regular orange types?
That's a great Idea. I saw on Youtube a farmer who actually made templates with plywood and custom nubs for pushing in the soil fro doing seed starting flats. Sorry I can not remember what the title of the video was, was about homesteading though I think.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, this is my first time on this thread. Thank you for sharing all of this info. My husband and I have slowly started expanding on our land and are now considering adding turkey and or geese for meat. I'm wondering if you all have photos of housing you have built for them as well as tips or pros and cons of each for someone who has not raised them before. I am also confused by the fact that I have found some info saying you cannot under any circumstance keep turkeys near chickens. However I have seen photo after photo of chickens and turkeys free ranging together? If someone has and insight I would greatly appreciate the advice. I have some books but it's never the same as straight from a homesteader! Sry about any spelling/word mix up, I'm typing this on my phone and These darn things are a pain lol thanks!!

Hi everyone, this is my first time on this thread. Thank you for sharing all of this info. My husband and I have slowly started expanding on our land and are now considering adding turkey and or geese for meat. I'm wondering if you all have photos of housing you have built for them as well as tips or pros and cons of each for someone who has not raised them before. I am also confused by the fact that I have found some info saying you cannot under any circumstance keep turkeys near chickens. However I have seen photo after photo of chickens and turkeys free ranging together? If someone has and insight I would greatly appreciate the advice. I have some books but it's never the same as straight from a homesteader! Sry about any spelling/word mix up, I'm typing this on my phone and These darn things are a pain lol thanks!!

Everything you read must be taken with a grain of salt. Some books are more "this is how I do it" rather than all the ways of doing it. Some authors aren't doing this "Poultry keeping" as

I have turkeys and chickens in the same coop. As rancher hicks say take everything you read with a grain of salt, even here on BYC. We all do things a little different and in ways that work for us.

The reason people tell you to not keep turkeys and chickens together is "blackhead" a disease carried by worms from chicken where (as I understand it) it does no harm. to turkeys where it can be fatal.

There is no blackhead in my area, I live on very sandy soil, both of those things make it safer for me. You need to decide on your own and from whether blackhead exists in your area.

Some people say turkeys beat up on the chickens. I have not had that problem, I have had the occasional rooster/Tom spar, but I have tom on tom and rooster on rooster too. It is just them making a pecking order.

Have fun decide what works for you, Take the ideas that work for you, test the ones you think might be feasible, disregard those that will not work.

We all live in different areas and farm differently. Even the ideas I do not adopt marvel me. So many of us doing so many thing to get to the same goal of more self sufficiency and healthier food.

Join us on the turkey threads if you want more info, I think most there have both chickens and turkeys.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/966414/a-century-of-turkey-talk-2000-2100/5560#post_16470618

Last edited:

My understanding is it is a worm issue (I am just going from memory I will look for the thread it was talked about on) So you can keep chickens and turkeys togeather, you just need to be diligent about keeping them wormed. I will look for the thread...

I am super excited! We were at a silent auction and I got a bunch of good books. Missed the storing root vegtables one :( but I did get this one! I know the author, so super excited to get to reading this one

Sorry had to reboot.

Anyhow some authors keep poultry as a hobby, pets etc. etc. So how to house, feed and what breeds to get depends on the individual.

A turkey is a turkey, right? A chickens is a chickens right? Wrong. Some breeds work better than others for the individual. The same with housing, feeds and feeders and waterers.

This blasted computer is acting up.

Thanks, I will look into the blackhead and see if it is common in my area. I also have mostly sandy soils but I own about two acres of swamp as well. I do not use medicated feeds or antibiotics and only worm occasionally as it seems needed. Thank you for the advice about the worms and I will certainty check out the turkey thread as well.

Back
Top Bottom