Homesteaders

I watched a some youtube videos canning bone broth by Linda's Pantry. She has many, many canning, dehydrating, etc. videos on food preservation. Anyone timid about canning should watch her. She makes it look easy, which really it is. Just remember to follow directions and keep and eye on your product while working it up.

tomatoes and tomato sauces are not really any more difficult than jams and jellies. I have found www.pickyourown.org to be an excellent site for all your canning needs. It has helped me get started.

Does anyone else pressure can their own meat broth. This is something I have contemplated but haven't quite been brave enough to do. I end up putting my broth in the freezer in jars. Works good but takes up freezer space.

I PC meat and broth. There's hardly anything I don't or won't can up in a jar if the notion strikes me.
wink.png
I can all my chickens killed each year, can deer, rabbit, squirrel, etc. I can chicken stock and deer bone broth. I don't buy or can any commercially grown or sourced meats, though.

I've canned meats in a water bath method before and really liked how the product came out. I always can sweet corn in a water bath method but I use a steam canner(this is not a pressure canner). I don't add lemon juice to tomatoes, apple sauce, or any other already acid foods...it's ridiculous...and I don't "sterilize" jars in boiling water or in the oven~we use warm soapy bleach water and wash them.

Anyone asking questions on forums and sites where the canning police charge in and tell you it's not safe to can this or that in that manner? Might want to check out this FB group where there's a group of ladies who are practically obsessed with canning and they don't allow any canning police to discourage folks with their fears and so called canning knowledge that they got out of a book or a master class at the local extension office. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1657095577911241/?ref=nf_target&fref=nf

tomatoes and tomato sauces are not really any more difficult than jams and jellies. I have found www.pickyourown.org to be an excellent site for all your canning needssu It has helped me get started.

Does anyone else pressure can their own meat broth. This is something I have contemplated but haven't quite been brave enough to do. I end up putting my broth in the freezer in jars. Works good but takes up freezer space.

I have started canning in the last few years, mainly Tomatoes, cukes, sauerkraut, Vegie things....

I have thought about trying meats but am not brave enough. I bought a pressure cooker to do them with, then found out the pressure cooker I bought is not safe to use for canning. It is one of those just for cooking in. So I might get a new one and try using it for meats next year. I like to can on the deck instead of the house because of all the heat and moisture when canning.

Me too! Around these parts those are called "shacks" and are nothing new....folks can drive down any road in WV and see plenty of "tiny" houses, particularly along the rivers.
We have lots of those old tiny houses here too. Most of them don't look as nice as the ones on the show. I think it's great that people are downsizing and spending less, but some of them just seem too small. DH & I plan on downsizing, but to around 1000 sq ft or so, not 200. That's the size of my chicken runs!

Looked up bone broth, didn't realize I was already doing it. Pressure cook our older tougher birds, remove the meat and then re-pressure cook the carcass. Broth I set in fridge till next day, skim off the fat on top, rest is like gelatinous jelly till you heat it up. Re-add the meat, makes for the best soup ever.
Look up bone broth and the health benefits, amazing!
I just saved the bones of a deer, with the intent of making bone broth and have just looked it up for the first time myself, didn't realize I'd already been making it in the pressure cooker with chicken bones.
:)
Bone broth is wonderful! I cook it all the time. It really helps with my RA. It tastes so much better than the store bought broth.

Oh and having to do with bone broth, I love my bone broth but I have one question. I have never been able to cook it down enough that the bones crumble. I typically will cook it in the crock on low for about 24 hours. What am I doing wrong?
I don't think the bones have to come to crumble stage to be beneficial. I add ACV with the Mother to mine. I cook it 24 to 48 hours, just depends on when I have the time to put it up. My bones are usually really soft and can be smashed if I put pressure on them. I've only done chicken, turkey & beef bones so far. I use the beef for cooking and the chicken/turkey for drinking broth straight. Love it!

Finally, after all of these years, hubby and I are fashionable. We built our home in 76. 1080 s.f. Paid off the mortgage in 91. Raised 2 kids here. A bit tight, but... I wouldn't trade our utility or tax bills for a larger house. We watched the real estate market when interest rates went through the roof. We watched the recession when all of those big houses were going through foreclosure. We drive by all of those big houses, most of them sitting empty all the time either because they are in foreclosure, or for sale, or both owners are working ALL the time to be able to make the mortgage payment and pay for the toys that they are too busy working to play with.

We have lots of those old tiny houses here too. Most of them don't look as nice as the ones on the show. I think it's great that people are downsizing and spending less, but some of them just seem too small. DH & I plan on downsizing, but to around 1000 sq ft or so, not 200. That's the size of my chicken runs!

Bone broth is wonderful! I cook it all the time. It really helps with my RA. It tastes so much better than the store bought broth.

I don't think the bones have to come to crumble stage to be beneficial. I add ACV with the Mother to mine. I cook it 24 to 48 hours, just depends on when I have the time to put it up. My bones are usually really soft and can be smashed if I put pressure on them. I've only done chicken, turkey & beef bones so far. I use the beef for cooking and the chicken/turkey for drinking broth straight. Love it!

You do 48 hours in the slow cooker, I think I would be afraid to leave it on so long. The cord area of mine gets kinda hot after 10 hours.

We have a family of 7 stuffed into 1500 sqft and we love it. The house is strictly for sleeping, eating, and cleaning. It's the perfect "excuse " to force the kids outside. With us having such a small place it's forced to kids to be better organized and not hoard. The downside is that the kids are building forts all over the property so every time I try and clean and area 1 kid or another is freaking out that I'm destroying their area.

Funny. When I was growing up I lived outside from the time we woke up until the street lights came on. My kids spend time outside but not that much time. Sadly some of the kids I taught hardly go out at all.

That's one reason why I love raising my kids on the farm. It encourages outside time. Good vitamin D. Naturally. We grew up making forts, climbing trees, running the neighborhood free as a bird. No fears,no worries. Wish I could give that to my kids.

Back
Top Bottom