Homesteaders

Not happy with the new BYC since I can't find the threads I follow. Well at least some of them. Hope all is well with everyone.

question. How do you protect your berries and grapes from the birds? Lost all the grapes last year and there looks to be more this year so I'm adamant about keeping them for me.

question. How do you deal with springs increased flock and all that. You know new chicks being born and other livestock. Do you have a set up just for that? Growing out coop and what not?

Not happy with the new BYC since I can't find the threads I follow. Well at least some of them. Hope all is well with everyone.

question. How do you protect your berries and grapes from the birds? Lost all the grapes last year and there looks to be more this year so I'm adamant about keeping them for me.

question. How do you deal with springs increased flock and all that. You know new chicks being born and other livestock. Do you have a set up just for that? Growing out coop and what not?
Lowe's sells bird netting pretty reasonable 14'x14' $6 , 7'x100' $15 (i used that to top off one of my runs, cut in half zip tied together 14x50)
Birds have left our grapes and blueberries alone but my MIL uses it over her blueberries.
I'm going to use it over our raised strawberry beds this yr. Last yr either chipmunks or red squirrels ate all our strawberries as they rippened, kids were not happy.

[QUOTE="rancher hicks, post: 18552792, member: 23908"

question. How do you deal with springs increased flock and all that. You know new chicks being born and other livestock. Do you have a set up just for that? Growing out coop and what not?[/QUOTE]

I have a brooder box big enough to put several hens and eggs in until they are a little bigger. Some I put in a cage in the floor of the coop with their own water and feed to keep the other hens from laying more eggs in with them then me making the setting hen mad checking for new eggs every day, then open the cage a week or so after they hatch. That pen free ranges so the others are occupied while the chicks are in the same coop.

I don't know what I'm going to do this year. Got some hens setting, Just had a horse foal, calves coming soon, puppies any day. AND my first pup due in a month.

Last year I gave away some chicks. Right now I'm over run. With chickens and eggs. I posted here on the NY thread to give chicks away. CL isn't working for sales. I'll know better next year. My plans are to keep some to replace the older girls, but the older girls are doing just fine laying. None of this two years and they're done business here. Heck Big Delores must be 5. She's still laying. Frenchy is 9 and her daughter 8 and they're both sitting. For now. I'll be pulling any eggs not near hatching tonight and tossing them. Any near hatchign will be left but that's not many.
Keeping chickens is big now, everyone has them, sales are down due to the supply being greater than the demand. You don't really need many to get enough eggs for the house. I'm just giving eggs away.

Remember an old hen is as good as a young cockerel with dumplings (Not a rotisserie chicken lol). If you can't sell and aren't as lazy as I AM about cleaning a few.

I've started a part time job and am super busy. DW has another MRI tomorrow. Cleaning birds is out of the question. I spent nearly half of today just trying to find a wheel for the lawn mower. Took DW to the store, Watered chickens and ducks and managed to get some of the lawn mowed.

Back
Top Bottom