Hoop coop related question

Sefirothe

On A Clucking Adventure
Premium Feather Member
Feb 1, 2023
Scranton, PA
Not really coop related but I’m sure someone here has dealt with this.

For anyone who’s gotten the 16 ft cattle/livestock panels, how do you get them home?

I have a truck but it only has a 5’ 8” bed. Can I curl up the panel to fit like an upward facing tube? Are they that flexible with out bending permanently?

I want to use them to make tunnel trellises in my garden. And maybe possibly an extension to my just built run if chicken math takes over this spring.

I have seen photos of the panels standing up in the bed of a pickup, with both ends inside and the middle standing up in an arch. Since that is pretty much the shape you would want for a hoop coop, it shouldn't cause any problems to transport them that way.

I have a truck but it only has a 5’ 8” bed. Can I curl up the panel to fit like an upward facing tube? Are they that flexible with out bending permanently?
Is that the width of the bed?
Do the wheel wells take up part of the bed?
Probably better to curve it but with the edge on the bed floor, if the bed is flat across the whole width.
They can kink and it can be hard to get that kink back out to form a smooth curve again.
Take a look at this, might help you get it, and keep it, in the right shape while building.

Is that the width of the bed?
Do the wheel wells take up part of the bed?
Probably better to curve it but with the edge on the bed floor, if the bed is flat across the whole width.
They can kink and it can be hard to get that kink back out to form a smooth curve again.
Take a look at this, might help you get it, and keep it, in the right shape while building.
5' 8" is the length of the bed.

The width is less than your average truck bed. It’s a Dodge Ram with the Rambox set up that puts storage in the sides of the bed over the wheel wells. Bonus is that the inside of the bed is a perfect square.

Not my truck, but mine’s set up the same way inside of the bed. I don’t have the tailgate extender either. Actual width is either 48 or 49 inches.

I checked your link and while I wish I had a 16 ft trailer to use, I do have access to a 10 ft one. That might work better than the truck bed. Be a bit of work to drag it out for a couple of panels.

I wish TSC would offer delivery on them. I’d pay a bit just for the expedience of it.

IMG_4930.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, 5'-8"(68") x 48-49" isn't a perfect square...think you mean the floor is flat because the wheel wells are covered by the tool boxes. (sorry, old drafter here) Anyway.

48" wide is likely to kink the panels. Unless maybe if you hung the curved part out over the tailgate.

I had a buddy with trailer(can't remember the size) move the first panels I got. Got some used ones later from a farmer who had a 16' trailer, those panel were kind messed up.

I hauled a couple rolled up in a small trailer. They roll fairly easy. I was worried they wouldn’t fit but the guy that worked there had lots of experience loading them in all sorts of vehicles and knew just what to do. Honestly it was a lot easier than I imagined it was going to be

I hauled a couple rolled up in a small trailer. They roll fairly easy. I was worried they wouldn’t fit but the guy that worked there had lots of experience loading them in all sorts of vehicles and knew just what to do. Honestly it was a lot easier than I imagined it was going to be
Curious the diameter they rolled them into, and if they kinked at all.

Well, 5'-8"(68") x 48-49" isn't a perfect square...think you mean the floor is flat because the wheel wells are covered by the tool boxes. (sorry, old drafter here) Anyway.

48" wide is likely to kink the panels. Unless maybe if you hung the curved part out over the tailgate.

I had a buddy with trailer(can't remember the size) move the first panels I got. Got some used ones later from a farmer who had a 16' trailer, those panel were kind messed up.
Ahh, poor wording on my part. I should have said a smooth sided box. No wheel well bulges to deal with.

Back
Top Bottom