Hoop Coop Retrofit

fuzzi

She Who Brings Grapes
Premium Feather Member
Apr 5, 2022
Pitt County, NC
My Coop
My Coop
I live in eastern NC, USDA Zone 8a, aka a hot and humid climate. I built my hoop coop this Spring, and it appears to be holding up pretty well...

...except for the tarp on top, despite the fact that it's supposedly a "heavy duty" tarp.

The hem, including the grommets, ripped:
IMG_20230808_105632086.jpg

Original construction thread is here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/fuzzis-chicken-journal.1550586/

That's a long thread, so here are the important build timeline links:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/fuzzis-chicken-journal.1550586/post-26819925

Brief overview of the build:

February 24, 2023:
IMG_20230224_111549465_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20230224_133634583_HDR.jpg

The blue tarp is tucked underneath the heavy duty gray tarp, partly to protect it from any sharp ends on the hardware cloth.

IMG_20230224_174252237.jpg

Current inside view:
IMG_20230731_203408482.jpg

Current outside view, including shade cloth:
IMG_20230808_105607813_HDR.jpg

I have another shade cloth, with grommets, 14'x16'. I was thinking of just tying it down over the tarps, as rainwater does drip through the shade cloth.

Other thoughts after looking over other hoop coop builds here, is installing some sheets of corrugated material over the tarp area, but metal might be too hot for the area.

What do you think?
:caf

Suggestions?
:pop

@3KillerBs @Molpet @Krugerrand @TJAnonymous @aart @Blooie@LTAY1946

Last edited:
My neighbor recently stumbled into metal roofing that somebody gave him for scrap that he let me pick through. I had bought a tarp to use for the run dry area .... but never got to use it. My plan was to roll it around one of those small pressure treated pieces and drill a hole through and bolt it to the cattle panel. Even that would only hold up so well. (now part is metal, part is landscape fabric and part it open to the elements. they get to pick where they stand.) I'll switch out the landscape fabric and open part to the tarp in the winter.

I think if you want something stronger you need to go to used billboard material. They aren't necessarily cheap ... but apparently are really strong. If you happen to live near a local place producing/installing them, they will sometimes sell you scraps.

I REALLY like the metal once and done. But, it wasn't in my budget until it was FREE!

My neighbor recently stumbled into metal roofing that somebody gave him for scrap that he let me pick through. I had bought a tarp to use for the run dry area .... but never got to use it. My plan was to roll it around one of those small pressure treated pieces and drill a hole through and bolt it to the cattle panel. Even that would only hold up so well. (now part is metal, part is landscape fabric and part it open to the elements. they get to pick where they stand.) I'll switch out the landscape fabric and open part to the tarp in the winter.

I think if you want something stronger you need to go to used billboard material. They aren't necessarily cheap ... but apparently are really strong. If you happen to live near a local place producing/installing them, they will sometimes sell you scraps.

I REALLY like the metal once and done. But, it wasn't in my budget until it was FREE!
I was looking at billboard material for sale, online. None had grommets. Not sure if it's better to attach the material to a 2x4 or strap it down or use clips or use grommets.

I want it as cheap as possible, of course.

Sorry you're having issues with the tarp. My 7 mil tarp lasted two years before showing clear signs of distress - three before developing holes from the cats walking on it. The 10 mil with uv resistance tarp on another hoop has lasted me two years with no signs of distress (cats don't walk on that one as far as I know).

The billboard material sounds like a good investment. I've looked at it and if I were to use it, I would use large head nails to attach it to the bottom frame - leaving the ends for ventilation.

I think I am going to put the shade cloth on as a temporary measure, to keep the tarp from degrading as quickly.

The use of billboard material is distinctly possible, but I would want white/light on the outside, and I would need to rig a secure but moveable method of attaching it in case of major hurricanes.

I think I am going to put the shade cloth on as a temporary measure, to keep the tarp from degrading as quickly.

The use of billboard material is distinctly possible, but I would want white/light on the outside, and I would need to rig a secure but moveable method of attaching it in case of major hurricanes.
My plan for winter is to tape the tarp in a couple places to one of these:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Weather...Treated-Southern-Pine-Lumber-315412/100024161

Then roll it, maybe twice. Drill a few holes through all of it and use bolts with washers to secure it to the run. I'd want to be sure that the bolts are just below the cattle panel cross bar rather than just relying on the hardware cloth - especially on the side of predominate wind.

Something like this:
SecureTarp.png

To remove, just unbolt it.

I would need to rig a secure but moveable method of attaching it in case of major hurricanes.

One advantage of the hoop design is that if the wind comes across the arch it's highly resistant to wind effects.

One of the reasons we've got so much under-the-roof airflow is the hope that it won't get torn off if we get another major hurricane like Florence.

I'm far enough inland for very few hurricanes to get here still at hurricane force, but still do have to think about that.

Back
Top Bottom