Hoop Coop Retrofit

My plan for winter is to tape the tarp in a couple places to one of these:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Weather...Treated-Southern-Pine-Lumber-315412/100024161

Then roll it, maybe twice. Drill a few holes through all of it and use bolts with washers to secure it to the run. I'd want to be sure that the bolts are just below the cattle panel cross bar rather than just relying on the hardware cloth - especially on the side of predominate wind.

Something like this:
View attachment 3605029

To remove, just unbolt it.
Thanks!

I'm letting this issue percolate in my brain, and love all the input.

One advantage of the hoop design is that if the wind comes across the arch it's highly resistant to wind effects.

One of the reasons we've got so much under-the-roof airflow is the hope that it won't get torn off if we get another major hurricane like Florence.

I'm far enough inland for very few hurricanes to get here still at hurricane force, but still do have to think about that.
Most of my airflow is at ground level, though one end is totally open. The other end has a tarp from about 24" above the ground.

I have ground anchors for the four corners, just haven't installed them yet.
:oops:

Don't rely on the grommets ot tie downs.
On this side the tarp is wrapped around a piece of wood and the wood is screwed to the wood of the frame.
On the other side the tarp is screwed to the base board.
It gets pretty windy where the chickens live.
P2280459.JPG
PA130432.JPG
PA130431.JPG

I’ve got some questions about a hoop coop. If I do make one I want to give it a metal roof and and make it heavy duty. I basically just want to make it a house for the chickens to go in a night and they’ll have a run to go in during the day. Anyway, do these coop do well in winter? Will they keep frostbite away? And how about summer? We’re I live in the summer it can get up to 100-102 with the humidity at 43-50. Our winter can get well below freezing and can have up to 5in of snow. And we get quite a bit of freezing rain. Will a hoop house work for my bantams? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom