HOOSIERS Only - INDIANA - Ru1?

Hi, I'm in Springville, IN. I'm married with two children - both girls, 7 and 4 y.o. We are all chicken crazy! I think my 7 year old will be remembered as a chicken girl by her friends from school.
wink.png

My adventure with chickens started this year with my husband bringing 3 chicks from a feed store around Easter time.
Currently we have 8 chickens - one got snatched by an oppossum last week.
hit.gif
This coming spring we are planning to turn our garage into a coop and build a designated run for our birds. We are looking forward to expanding our little flock. I would like to experience hatching some chicks as well.

I am looking locally for some sebright, polish and silkie eggs.
My husband would also like some call ducks.

I cannot wait for spring. I hope all my chickens make it through the winter alright. I worry about them all the time.
wink.png

Quote:
Oh yeah, I don't care about the color. I love them all. ;-)
I was going to try to hatch some eggs in a few months, you know, for spring, some time around Easter.
I just read silkies are hard to hatch anyway so it probably doesn't make sense to try to hatch shipped eggs for the first hatching experience.
We would prefer pick up the eggs ourselves.

I will add your FB profile so I can contact you later when spring is closer, if you don't mind. ;-)

Haven't had heat on our girls, but their coop/run is right next to our porch, the run is covered on top and two of sides facing the worst wind (and so far remained snow free in there). They've chosen to roost in the run all through this cold snap...
hu.gif
But we bought one of those warmers for under their water dish from Rural King - which has come in handy. And our egg production has increased... the cold, extra light bouncing off the snow, or cayenne pepper powder in their food...
thumbsup.gif
Whatever it is, I'm happy!
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Oh yeah, I don't care about the color. I love them all. ;-)
I was going to try to hatch some eggs in a few months, you know, for spring, some time around Easter.
I just read silkies are hard to hatch anyway so it probably doesn't make sense to try to hatch shipped eggs for the first hatching experience.
We would prefer pick up the eggs ourselves.

I will add your FB profile so I can contact you later when spring is closer, if you don't mind. ;-)

That is fine. I don't have trouble hatching them, but I heard alot of people say they do.

Back
Top Bottom