HOOSIERS Only - INDIANA - Ru1?

My EEs are not grumpy but neither are they friendly. They are definitely at the bottom of the pecking order. They're far too docile for the rest of my flock. In August, I purchased 13 EEs and 11 sex-links. I still have ALL my sex-links and they are fat, feathery and SUPER FRIENDLY.

Of the EEs, I have only 7 left. ALL 7 have bare butts. They were slower to mature, they lay less frequently than my sex-links and none of them are especially friendly. If any of them get hurt or need to be separated from the flock, it takes me FOREVER to catch them. They're so flighty. If I need to separate a sex-link, I just reach down and pick it up. Also, the EEs like to leave the yard to lay. My sex-links don't go far and most of them actually return to the coop to drop their eggs.

Hello from Lawrenceburg, Indiana!!
It's fine if you don't know where that is. Basically if we go about 5 minutes south we hit Kentucky and if we go about 5 minutes east we hit Ohio.
lol.png

We have 4 horses(Arabian, Quarter Horse, and Morab then the POA that is actually my friend's horse that we board) , 3 cats, 1 dog, 1 guinea pig, 1 rabbit and over 40 chickens chickens(Most are chicks. When we find out which are roosters they are getting sold/re-homed/eaten). T
The 50 chickens are:
1 Golden Phoenix rooster
1 Golden Laced Polish Rooster
2 Silkies(1 Splash Roo and 1 Black Pullet)
3 Buff Orpingtons All hens
2 Black Sex-Links Hens
1 Red Sex link/production red(We aren't sure) hen
2 Golden laced polish chicks(Pullets hopefully)
12 Blue Laced Red Wyandotte chicks(Black, Blue, and Splash varieties) Gender unknown (Alot of these are being sold in the future)
2 White Crested Polish Bantam chicks probably 1 pullet and 1 cockeral
3 Buff Orpington Rooster(most likely) Chicks
2 Rhode Island Red Rooster(most likely) chicks
5 Black Jersey Giant chicks Gender unknown
4 Buff Brahma chicks gender unknown
2 White Sultan chicks Most likely pullets
3 Welsummer Chicks most likely pullets
I swear I'm forgetting something.... xD

Some of those are my Sisters' and mom's chickens. Mine are the Brahmas, Jersey Giants, Phoenix, Sultans, and Buff Orpingtons. The RIR and Buff rooster chicks came in my shipment from MT Healthy(Why we didn't just pick them up living so close is a loong story. I can tell if you guys want xD but we ordered 6 and got 14) I refused to claim as my own since they are being rehomed and/or eaten if they turn out to be roos(might as well not get attached).

Quote:
Thanks! I'll check them out
smile.png
Have you been to this one before? I'm always a little nervous about auctions since the stock can sometimes be unhealthy =/

Dinky's is my fave friday night place to go. Love it. They have food counter too get some sandwiches and fries or ice cream

They always have something great to buy there. Hope you enjoy it.

Greetings from Bloomington. New to keeping chickens with 7 chicks approaching 5 weeks old. They have been a blast and fascinating to watch. Two of the EEs are total lap chicks, while the two wild-looking ones are more wild. The BRs are very friendly, the cockerel most of all, also a lap chicken.

The coop's not quite done... so they're still in the family room, and our weather isn't cooperating! Have horses, too.

Hello, I'm Jeff from New Ross. I'm new to chicken raising. I have 8 chicks (still trying to find out what breed they are) My wife Bren and I live on our 5 acre mini farm along with our 6 Minature Schnauzers, 8 chicks and soon we will be getting a couple of Goats.

Quote:
I just love barred rocks!! They have so much personality and are so inquisitive!
smile.png

teach1rusl, I just love your coop and run. Beautiful! I'm afraid mine will be a contender in the next tacky coops competition, as I am converting the end of a dilapidated dairy barn. Chicks are still in my family room and I'm having a hard time thinking about moving them out, despite the mess! But keeping things clean seems to prevent much odor.

On your liking the BR, I fell in love with EEs based on description and would have gotten all EEs but a long-time chicken-keeping friend of many different breeds advised me that ultimately the BRs were her favorite. So I begrudgingly took her advice and added 3 BRs to my list and I must confess, they are wonderful, and I wish i had a couple more. They were way ahead of the EEs in learning chicken skills on day 2, are bold and friendly and becoming beautiful. To make things "worse" one turned out to be a roo. But so far he is a total lap chicken and I read they tend to make kind roos. I am reading another thread on BYC about how to work with roosters.

Hello fellow Hoosiers! I'm in Cloverdale, IN which is between Indy and Terre Haute just off I-70. My wife, three kids, and I just got our first chicks last Wednesday. We are total newbies but are pretty fast learners. We currently have 6 Speckled Sussex and 6 Silver Laced Wyandottes (5 pullets and one roo in each breed.) I was a little nervous before we got the chicks that we wouldn't enjoy it but we are having a blast. The coop is a work in progress but it's getting close to complete. I'm working on a coop page and will link to it once it's complete.

Back
Top Bottom