HOOSIERS Only - INDIANA - Ru1?

Hi Melissa--Good luck with that hatch! My first hatch of the year is about 6 weeks old now and I have eggs in the incubator--took a breathing spell after the first one.
Are you looking for large fowl eggs? I have light Brahmas in a pure pen and plan to get my Easter eggers separated from the mixed flock soon. Also have Polish, but they haven't started laying consistently yet this year.
On the bantam side, cochins, silkies, and Polish.
Have fun with those fuzzies!
Judy

Smart! I have never been a gambling type at all, but I'm hooked on hatching eggs and am on my third batch of shipped eggs with another on the way. I am just getting started but will have eggs in the very near future. Concentrating on purebred layers at the moment....ameracaunas and marans as I want a colorful egg basket. Also, as much as I never - EVER thought it would happen - I have fallen in love with the silkies. I have Bobbi Porto eggs in the bator now. I have bcm and ameracauna chicks coming beginning of April. I am in Solsberry, just west of Bloomington.
Good luck with your hatch!

Hi Fellow Hoosiers!

I am currently incubating eggs for the very first time. I am very excited. If all goes well, I would like to keep incubating eggs all spring and summer. I hope to sell chicks and augment my flock. Do any of you have any eggs to sell? I prefer if you're in the Indianapolis area. I am most interested in purebred laying stock, but would also consider mixed breeds. I don't want to deal with ordering eggs through the mail or paying shipping. I want to know that if a hatch fails, it was probably my fault and not a shipping problem!

Have you all had pretty good results from shipped eggs? I'm looking for BCM eggs and the closest I've found are over 2 1/2 hours away. So..... I'm trying to decide whether to drive and get eggs or buy some and have them shipped with less successful hatching rates.

Which reminds me - do any of you have any Black Copper Marans hatching eggs or straight run chicks in the Northwest/Northern Indiana area?

My success with shipped BCM eggs has not been great--not that many shipped eggs have been spectacular overall. I should have (I hope!) chicks later this spring and plan to be coming to the Knox swaps in May and June. My trio has done well in shows, so I'm hoping for some quality chicks.

ChisnChickens--the silkies can be addictive. They have really fun personalities--I tend to keep more cocks than I want or need just because it's so entertaining to watch them run around.

I agree. The boys are adorable, and I like the look of a show quality roo much more than a hen...which is probably strange.

My success with shipped BCM eggs has not been great--not that many shipped eggs have been spectacular overall. I should have (I hope!) chicks later this spring and plan to be coming to the Knox swaps in May and June. My trio has done well in shows, so I'm hoping for some quality chicks.

ChisnChickens--the silkies can be addictive. They have really fun personalities--I tend to keep more cocks than I want or need just because it's so entertaining to watch them run around.

I am new to hatching and here's how its been so far...
1st - 11 out of 18 hatched (2 died)
2nd - 3 out of 12 hatched (2 died)
3rd - awaiting results, have developing eggs at day 10 now

I should note that my second hatch I think drowned in the eggs. All but three developed to yolk absorbtion (should have pipped but didn't) - perfect little dead chicks:-(
I think my humidity was too high for the eggs (ameracaunas)
I incubated the same as I did my first batch (fifty to sixty%) for silkies.
Everyone says silkies have thinner shells and need higher humidity...dunno
hu.gif

Have you all had pretty good results from shipped eggs? I'm looking for BCM eggs and the closest I've found are over 2 1/2 hours away. So..... I'm trying to decide whether to drive and get eggs or buy some and have them shipped with less successful hatching rates.

Which reminds me - do any of you have any Black Copper Marans hatching eggs or straight run chicks in the Northwest/Northern Indiana area?

That's interesting about the humidity. I think I drowned about half of my last hatch because I was so concerned about not having enough humidity.

You did get some to hatch, so that's good. I've read stories about none hatching.

Thanks for the replies. :)

where and what dates are these swaps at? I have been trying to find some silkie eggs north of indy for months with no luck. Also been trying to find hens or pullets with no luck. I have not had very good luck with shipped eggs so I am going to do the drive if I can find some. I am dying to go to some shows or swaps to find some nice eggs or birds. Plan on going to the gateway show next month. I will make that 4 hour drive if it kills me lol.

Back
Top Bottom