Hoovers canceling orders and forcing customers to the end of the line

I placed an order through Hoover's Hatchery for shipping on February 1. They were informed by USPS on Jan 31st that they would not be able to ship. Instead of letting customer's know right away, they originally pushed my ship date out to February 2. Now I received a follow up email letting me know that they will be canceling my order and forcing us to reorder. I looked and the first available ship date is May 1.

I understand that they have challenges, but they should have just pushed everyone out instead of forcing customers this week to the end of the line. This is terrible customer service from Hoovers.
Just curious, where do you live?

One thing this thread has taught me is that I shouldn't order from Hoovers. There's no way that I would find a 3-month delay on delivery acceptable. A three week, as some others suggested, would be somewhat tolerable. One week would be better. I would however, if I'd experienced this circumstance as the OP, take the refund and find the chicks as soon as possible from some other source and be done with the hatchery that couldn't fulfill the order.
And since Hoover has been shipping without heat packs this may have been ablessing in disguise for some people

And since Hoover has been shipping without heat packs this may have been ablessing in disguise for some people
Some hatcheries provide heat during shipping with heat packs. That works as long as the shipment isn't delayed. Hoover, like many other hatcheries, have a minimum number of chicks requirement so the chicks can keep each other warm. Hoover has a minimum of 15 chicken chicks per order, 20 if they are bantams, so they can keep each other warm.

It's a chance you take ordering chicks this time of year, I've ordered and had an entire order die because they got caught in bad weather. I usually watch the weather and order when it looks good usually a week or so ahead of time, you have to be flexible and roll with the circumstances.

Wow I just looked and I couldn't get the chicks I got in January until June now, glad I ordered when I did. These will be at POL by the first of May if they don't start earlier.

They ship without heat packs for certain amounts of birds so that they don't overheat
they told me they don't ship with heat packs, PERIOD. they went on to say all the other things they do---their logistics team opens a certain number of holes in the box depending on their destination, a double top on the box, foam wrap. This was in the context of my possibly ordering 10 birds from them via TSC, but I don't believe I even mentioned that on my call with them.

I placed an order through Hoover's Hatchery for shipping on February 1. They were informed by USPS on Jan 31st that they would not be able to ship. Instead of letting customer's know right away, they originally pushed my ship date out to February 2. Now I received a follow up email letting me know that they will be canceling my order and forcing us to reorder. I looked and the first available ship date is May 1.

I understand that they have challenges, but they should have just pushed everyone out instead of forcing customers this week to the end of the line. This is terrible customer service from Hoovers.

Email I received is below:

We were informed Tuesday morning that USPS would not allow us to ship orders via air freight this week due to inclement weather in Memphis, TN, which is the main shipping hub for USPS air shipments of live chicks. We at Hoover’s Hatchery made every effort this week to ship your order, but unfortunately there were not any options that would ensure the well-being of the chicks in transit.

Due to the increasing egg prices and egg shortages, we have experienced a surge in demand, causing us to be sold out all the way through the end of April (might change to May). With this in mind, we are not able to re-schedule your shipment for several months. We will be canceling your order and issuing you a full refund.

You should be receiving an email confirming the cancelation and a refund going back on the card you used to place the order. You are welcome to visit our website and re-order on the next available ship date.

Please understand that due to high call volumes, this is the most efficient way for you to reschedule your order. You are welcome to call our customer service team, but please understand that hold times have been very long and we are doing everything that we can to help our customers through this difficult time. If you wish to communicate with us, email is the most efficient way and we will answer your email as soon as we can.

We greatly appreciate your business and are very sorry for the inconvenience that this has caused.

Thank you so much for your patience and understanding during this time.

The Hoover's Hatchery Team
Just curious on what breed you ordered?

I've been reading quite a few posts on here about poor chick health from Hoover's. You might have lucked out by Not getting birds from them. I would be pissed as well but I expected this with all the chicken issues here of late. I don't usually get chicks from hatcheries because temperament and breed quality is lacking. Try CL and breeders for what you want.

I'm even more upset reading this thread now. My order from Hoovers mailed Wednesday March 1 and there is absolutely NO information for the tracking number. That main post Office in Elk Grove Village, IL has a bad reputation and no one answers the phone. For 9 years I received my chicks on Friday morning when mailed Wed. There were other chick orders at our post office but not mine. It's been frigid, and snowing so if they do get here tomorrow morning, I'm sure most or all will be dead. I'm doing everything I can to find that shipment with no luck!

Back
Top Bottom