Hoover's -- crossing my fingers

4 FRENCH BLACK COPPER MARANS Female [Marek's vaccination]

I noticed your Marek's. Yeah, I always get vaccinations too. When I first started out here, I'd lose as much as a third of my chicks to Marek's. It was awful. As soon as I started vaccinating, bam! No more losses.

It's been years now since I've had any Marek's deaths here. I could probably stop vaccinating, but now I'm afraid to!

The chicks are here! They arrived at 630 am at my post office! All alive and well with two extra chicks! Two extra French copper Maran. One is a male he was marked but I just lost my rooster here to a predator so it’s all good .
CC95C249-1F7A-4396-B3D9-28A8B02BF6CF.jpeg

Bad and good here.

Bad: SEVEN out of 22 arrived dead, and two more are iffy.

Good: they are resending the dead chicks with no hesitation at all — offered me the choice of resend or refund — including sending two replacements for the iffy chicks and one free additional to make the total 10 (they ship 10 or more).

I’m not sure how 7 chicks die in shipment when the weather is perfect (mid-80s), but their replacement policy seems good.

The chicks are here! They arrived at 630 am at my post office! All alive and well with two extra chicks! Two extra French copper Maran. One is a male he was marked but I just lost my rooster here to a predator so it’s all good . View attachment 1893032

That's great. They are SO cute. Already a beautiful little flock.

Bad and good here.

Bad: SEVEN out of 22 arrived dead, and two more are iffy.

Good: they are resending the dead chicks with no hesitation at all — offered me the choice of resend or refund — including sending two replacements for the iffy chicks and one free additional to make the total 10 (they ship 10 or more).

I’m not sure how 7 chicks die in shipment when the weather is perfect (mid-80s), but their replacement policy seems good.

Well shoot. That's not good. I hope the remaining chicks and replacements all thrive from here on out. Do your replacements come this week?

Well shoot. That's not good. I hope the remaining chicks and replacements all thrive from here on out. Do your replacements come this week?

Well, not THIS week, since it's already Friday. ;-) But they'll ship 9/3.

I also added two lavender orp pullets, two more Ameraucana/EE pullets, and another Welsummer male to the order. Crossing fingers again!

I also got a shipment of ducklings at the beginning of the week, and ANOTHER shipment of ducklings is coming the end of next week. It's gonna be a busy house for a while!

Good luck! For future reference, a little molasses in water is good for a lot of ailing youngsters -- it provides sugar as well as several vitamins and minerals. Not necessarily for a constant thing, 'cause they don't need the constant sugar, but if they need a boost.

(Although at least one study has been done on constant molasses in water for broiler chicks, and it improved growth significantly....)

Back
Top Bottom