Hoover's "Easter Eggers"

I was able to snap a picture of my Hoover’s Olive egger/Grunleger, or whatever these birds are, next to a more traditional Easter Egger (also from Hoover’s) and a purebred Legbar from a local source. It’s fun to compare. She has the yellow band. All are 9 weeks old.

2A6F467B-227D-4B16-9941-781E78BF79F3.jpeg

Actually this picture is better. Although it doesn’t include a Legbar pullet. It does include other Easter Eggers pullets from Hoover’s. 70780A5E-9D1E-41C7-9CBE-B93ABE82880B.jpeg 2570FFD7-E7D0-4F70-95DE-A304176D3852.jpeg

I was able to snap a picture of my Hoover’s Olive egger/Grunleger, or whatever these birds are, next to a more traditional Easter Egger (also from Hoover’s) and a purebred Legbar from a local source. It’s fun to compare. She has the yellow band. All are 9 weeks old.

View attachment 3249602
Perfect! You can really see the differences! Thanks for taking that photo. It's a great reference. 😊

Bringing back an old thread but I bought Hoover's easter eggers and olive eggers from Rural King about the same time as this thread was started. I got four of them at a discount for $1 each. I was so excited. I went to the store specifically for EE and they were on sale! I couldn't restrain myself. lol
The bin was marked both Easter Egger and Olive Egger. At first, I didn't know what I got. Two of them clearly had beards and two did not. I picked out all four different colors so I could tell them apart but they all mostly had chipmunk markings except for one bearded black one.
My birds are about 16 weeks old now. I think I have one olive egger that would be a Welsummer/Legbar cross. She looks like the welsummer with a small crest.
The two bearded are clearly easter eggers. One is orange and black and the other is orange and blue. The fourth pullet is non bearded. She sort of looks like the black/orange EE mixed with the welsummer. She has a pea comb. They don't lay yet so I cannot comment on eggs. I am interested to see. I call this last chicken an EE.
Hoovers has a lot of mixed breeds - and all could be considered EE, I guess. lol I still have 10 Hoover chickens from Aug/Sept. I had some really bad luck with these birds. I originally bought 17 and I lost 7 of them (all different breeds). It was heartbreaking.

Bringing back an old thread but I bought Hoover's easter eggers and olive eggers from Rural King about the same time as this thread was started. I got four of them at a discount for $1 each. I was so excited. I went to the store specifically for EE and they were on sale! I couldn't restrain myself. lol
The bin was marked both Easter Egger and Olive Egger. At first, I didn't know what I got. Two of them clearly had beards and two did not. I picked out all four different colors so I could tell them apart but they all mostly had chipmunk markings except for one bearded black one.
My birds are about 16 weeks old now. I think I have one olive egger that would be a Welsummer/Legbar cross. She looks like the welsummer with a small crest.
The two bearded are clearly easter eggers. One is orange and black and the other is orange and blue. The fourth pullet is non bearded. She sort of looks like the black/orange EE mixed with the welsummer. She has a pea comb. They don't lay yet so I cannot comment on eggs. I am interested to see. I call this last chicken an EE.
Hoovers has a lot of mixed breeds - and all could be considered EE, I guess. lol I still have 10 Hoover chickens from Aug/Sept. I had some really bad luck with these birds. I originally bought 17 and I lost 7 of them (all different breeds). It was heartbreaking.
We bought 9 TSC Hoovers chicks last year for the farm, 3 OE, 3 ISA & 3 Marans mix. Of the 9, there are only 4 left. They were an impulse buy, to get more eggs after the original local order came home. None of the OE laid olive eggs, two were mint and one was cream. One of the OE looked like a frost white legbar. She was gorgeous. They were not very hardy at all unfortunately. We have had much better luck with the local order chicks, out of 15, we lost only 1.

I really appreciate these threads - and I won't be buying Hoovers again, if I can help it.
I'm not eager to buy from anywhere, but I likely will have to bring in new genetics in the next year or two.

EE are mutts, identified by essentially two desired genes. There is so much variability in the parent stock, I won't say more about them than thet they usually lay some shade of green egg.

I really appreciate these threads - and I won't be buying Hoovers again, if I can help it.
I'm not eager to buy from anywhere, but I likely will have to bring in new genetics in the next year or two.

EE are mutts, identified by essentially two desired genes. There is so much variability in the parent stock, I won't say more about them than thet they usually lay some shade of green egg.
I do have to say, I have neighbors who ordered from McMurray & Mt Healthy, and have had no health issues with their orders. They’ve had their chickens for a few years. They seem to be better quality than Hoovers from what I can compare to.

I do have to say, I have neighbors who ordered from McMurray & Mt Healthy, and have had no health issues with their orders. They’ve had their chickens for a few years. They seem to be better quality than Hoovers from what I can compare to.
I've had no health issues with mine, they just were in no way exceptional, and were mostly average to poor (and inconsistent) examples of breed. Even their Cx were only so so (admittedly, my own management was a clearly contributing factor - I've learned a lot since joining BYC

Back
Top Bottom