Hope This Saves A Turkey From Blackhead

Metronidazole dosage (for turkeys) is:

500 mg per litre of water for prevention
1000 mg per litre of water for treatment.

You have to grind the pill and then dissolve it in water (dissolves not easily).

But be careful - it was banned for a reason...

Could anyone tell me what dosage of cayenne is? I mean how many gr of cayenne should I add to 1 kg of feed?

Metronidazole dosage (for turkeys) is:

500 mg per litre of water for prevention
1000 mg per litre of water for treatment.

You have to grind the pill and then dissolve it in water (dissolves not easily).

But be careful - it was banned for a reason...

Could anyone tell me what dosage of cayenne is? I mean how many gr of cayenne should I add to 1 kg of feed?

Best to give metronidazole orally, not in water.

Kathy

I am adding two level tablespoons of Cayenne to their custom feed. They have access to their hanging feeder 24/7, but every evening I take about 1 kg (2.2) lbs of their feed, add in their GSE, their two drops of Oregano Oil, and now the Cayenne Pepper (I got 5 lbs for less than $11 from Webstaurant Store online). I add two teaspoons of Turmeric Root Powder hot water, from the same company (link below); 5 lbs for $8.29, for its numerous health benefits, 2 teaspoons of Cinnamon, again from the same company, and add hot water. I do this in the afternoon so it has time to soak and swell. They go crazy for it now I am adding the Cayenne! I had also heard, way back last year that wild turkeys in Mexico actively seek out hot peppers, and mine were HAMMERED by escapee turkeys last year! Research shows that is also an effective treatment and preventative for Coccidiosis in chickens, so they are ALL getting it..

LINK - http://www.webstaurantstore.com/reg...MiJOqNoH-1y0_fxWt0X5g-4vZac_pCOXJ0aAkP08P8HAQ

Well, I get to join the blackhead club. One of my toms recovered from it, but now has a secondary infection. (Possibly E-Coli?)

How can I go about treating this? I've been giving him homemade kefir, and while it perks him up I'm not sure it's enough. Giving him antibiotics is out of the question. It's been in the upper 90's here and I'm afraid it would dehydrate him even more...

PLEASE get this product - Nutribiotic Grapefruit Seed Extract - it is a broad spectrum antibiotic which is effective against more than 800 strains of gram negative and gram positive bacteria, including E. Coli. It does NOT cause diarrhea. In fact it has virtually no effect on beneficial flora. You get 2,250 drops in a bottle.. 4 fl oz, off Amazon, for $15 and it lasts forever! For a 30 lb Tom who is acutely ill, start with 4 drops per 10 lbs weight per day. I use it as preventative and maintenance on my flocks of chickens, ducks and turkeys.. maintenence is 1 drop per 10 lbs weight. I give 80 drops for 80 lbs of birds.. mix it into their wet mash, along with the Cayenne pepper and also Turmeric (5 lbs for $12.50 from Webstaurant Store for these two items - bargain!)

I also gave Liquid Milk Thistle to my last Blackhead case. They develop Hepatic Lipidosis and Liver failure. Milk Thistle is an awesome recupaerative.

I buy Swanson's Alcohol Free Milk Thistle liquid, 1 fl oz, for $4.99 in multiples. I use it for ourselves and the occasional sick kitty or bird,.. at the rate of 1 drop per pound weight daily for sickness/recovery.

THEN, the real clincher for the Blackhead? Lomatium Dissectum. It is anti-protozoal, anti-viral, anti-bacterial. I gave this orally AND I nebulised it with a dying turkey last year (severe cyanosis, liver failure, respiratory failure.. probably 2ndary infection..), and her recovery was amazing.. The Native American Washoe tribe survived the 1918 flu pandemic with NO deaths by using L. dissectum.

Again you can get it off Amazon as a 2 fl oz tinture. 1 drop per 2 lbs weight daily.. you can divide the daily doses of these into two syringings..

Well, I get to join the blackhead club. One of my toms recovered from it, but now has a secondary infection. (Possibly E-Coli?)

How can I go about treating this? I've been giving him homemade kefir, and while it perks him up I'm not sure it's enough. Giving him antibiotics is out of the question. It's been in the upper 90's here and I'm afraid it would dehydrate him even more...
Would be best to get some Baytril (enrofloxacin), Cipro, or *maybe* Clavamox or Augmentin. Best bet would be to have a vet look at him started on antibiotics ASAP.

-Kathy

Thank for your your response, Kathy. Unfortunately none of the vets around here would see him, and I think the heat killed him yesterday. (I wasn't home, so I'm not sure what happened.) We had been tubing liquids, and he was also eating and drinking on his own. Nothing I can do about him now - just gotta try harder next time, I suppose.

I found this thread last year when my turkey poults all got sick. We were able to save 2. Now we seem to be facing the same problem again. I hope we have caught it early enough and can save our little flock of two hens and one tom. We had a wild female join our flock for a few days and I think that is where it came from.

My 4 month old chocolate tom has been fighting this for at least 2 weeks now. Took me awhile to diagnose him. Literally didn't know what else to do and thought he was going to die every day for past 2 weeks. After reading this, I made him a "milkshake" last night of a scrambled egg, turkey crumble, cayanne, water and ran it though my immersion blender. Got a good 20cc down him with big syringe last night and another 20 this morning. Tonight he actually has solid poop. It's still a bit yellow but isn't straight water anymore. I picked up some fish zole and got that in him tonight as well. Crossing my fingers that Charlie Brown is heading in the right direction. I've always had turkeys in with my chickens and this is first time this has ever become an issue. Now everyone has cayanne in their food.

Back
Top Bottom