Horizontal Nipples vs. Vertical Nipples

I used to have a bird bath heater in a bucket that I put vertical nipples into (forgive the bad sentence structure!) It eventually rusted and I replaced it with this unit which I bought. It has the horizontal nipples. I did not have problems with the chickens learning how it worked. I only used it in the winter in NJ. With the vertical nipple waterers, their combs get wet and that is a problem with frostbite.
9431.jpg

https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/heated-poultry-waterer?cat_id=227

I would recommend switching to horizontal nipples while the chickens are still young. Our 2 month olds had no problem switching over, but our 5 year old when we tried a year ago couldn't figure it out. Also, in my experience, the vertical nipples can be hung so the container swings a bit, it doesn't prevent the water coming out. But if the vertical nipples aren't attached to a container that is very stable (no swinging) the chickens can't push hard enough to get water out. But I have 3 chickens so it's a half-gallon container.

We also made our own winter waterer by nesting two containers, a red coffee container with a horizontal nipple, then packing peanuts around it with a heating tape that is meant to keep drain pipes from freezing - it has an automatic temperature sensor and much less fire risk. Then an outer plastic container with a hole in it so there is access to the nipple from the outside. It works well but it's annoying to check the water level, since you have to open it all up.

It's a heating tape like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Prime-Wire-C...-3&keywords=pipe+freeze+protection+heat+cable

I used to have a bird bath heater in a bucket that I put vertical nipples into (forgive the bad sentence structure!) It eventually rusted and I replaced it with this unit which I bought. It has the horizontal nipples. I did not have problems with the chickens learning how it worked. I only used it in the winter in NJ. With the vertical nipple waterers, their combs get wet and that is a problem with frostbite.
9431.jpg

https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/heated-poultry-waterer?cat_id=227

Not to mention the vertical nipples hold water and freeze. I read the horizontals dont freeze up

I would recommend switching to horizontal nipples while the chickens are still young. Our 2 month olds had no problem switching over, but our 5 year old when we tried a year ago couldn't figure it out. Also, in my experience, the vertical nipples can be hung so the container swings a bit, it doesn't prevent the water coming out. But if the vertical nipples aren't attached to a container that is very stable (no swinging) the chickens can't push hard enough to get water out. But I have 3 chickens so it's a half-gallon container.

We also made our own winter waterer by nesting two containers, a red coffee container with a horizontal nipple, then packing peanuts around it with a heating tape that is meant to keep drain pipes from freezing - it has an automatic temperature sensor and much less fire risk. Then an outer plastic container with a hole in it so there is access to the nipple from the outside. It works well but it's annoying to check the water level, since you have to open it all up.

It's a heating tape like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Prime-Wire-C...-3&keywords=pipe+freeze+protection+heat+cable

My oldest are almost 1.5 years old and my babies are 3 months old. They drink from the vertical nipples. I am hoping they will understand how to use the horizontal nipples.

Good advice about making it stable since the horizontal nipples take more force to push!

I never had a problem with the vertical nipples freezing because I had the birdbath heater hanging in the bucket.
Some folks do tho, even with a heater, depends on site location and climate.
VN's are more likely to freeze as they seal outside the bucket.
HN's seal inside the bucket, but can still freeze if water sits in tiny cup/lip and, again, depending on site location and climate.

Back
Top Bottom