Horns or no horns?????

~*Sweet Cheeks*~

Songster
10 Years
Mar 12, 2009
Medford, Oregon
I am looking to purchase my first goats.

I have narrowed it down to mini nubian or kinder breeds.

I responded to a Craigslist ad for kinders and spoke to the breeder a few times.

When I asked if they had horns, the response was 'I will NEVER burn the horns off my goats - it changes the shape of their heads AND makes them stupid and I don't want 15 stupid goats running around my place'.

My questions:

Is it painfull to the little ones to prevent/remove horns?

Does it change shape of head to remove horns?

Does it make them stupid or change their personalities?

Thank you

No horns here.. too much can happen. I'm not taking any risks..

Actually, my Nigi doe is naturally polled (hornless)...and so all her babies should be polled also..
therefore, i dont have to ever worry about de-horning another goat... (thats why i bought a polled goat..)

*edited to add..i hope i'm spelling polled right..
hmm.png

Last edited:
I have all my goats dehorned too - they may not used them on purpose, but if you're bending down, or worse if a child is near by, and the goat swings its head, the horn can go in a child's eye and horns really hurt!! Not to mention the damage they can do. We still have a patch on the wall of our aluminum pole barn from the billy goat that we had 25 years ago.

I have some naturally polled goats too - but you will only get about a 50% chance of having babies that are polled.

Quote:
Really! Drat! The breeder said that her(my does) babies should all be polled..because its a dominant gene..but to never breed 2 polled goats together..i guess it could be fatal or something?.. Darn! i dont want to deal with de-horning!
hmm.png

my billy goat is polled and about 50% of his babies will be polled. I have bred polled to polled and never had a problem. There seems to be a common thread that there will be problems when you do this - it is usually thought that you end up with a morphodite (half male, half female in reproductive organs); but recently other goat people are questioning that theory. I have never had it happen here. And I'm not into understanding genes - just that I have done it and have not had a problem. But do expect to be dehorning!!

Quote:
hit.gif
You've just ruined my life..
hit.gif
he.gif

*okay..i'm just being dramatic..*
tongue.png
it does suck though..i thought i wasnt going to have to deal with de-horning.. *sigh* ooh well..

Back
Top Bottom