Horribly deformed chick-Did I cause this?

Sorry for your loss...
sad.png

I don't think it is genetic because i have seen it in peafowl, guineas and other things and only happened once in a lot of cases. It seems like if it were genetic that it would happen more than once. I had a peacock like that 4 or 5 years ago and has not happened again out of the same breeders. It would be nice to know for sure.

Genetic, generally embrios that are very deformed (such as missing an eye) don't carry to term at all. Now it could be a random muitation (this one egg went wrong before fertilization) or it could be a recessive gene one of the parents carry causing it. Either way report the results of the hatch back where you got the eggs, so they can test bach some for problems.

Quote:
It is day 21. It was crammed tight in the egg. I had to break awy most of the shell before i could get it out. This is a bantam frizzled Polish. This is the replacement batch. I got nothing from the last hatch. I will probably let her know though.

She will want to know if she is interested in the quality of her breeding stock. Everything I read says crossbeak is genetic, and I don't see how one eye can be anything but genetic.

Back
Top Bottom