Pics
Does anyone know is club foot can be treated?
You can treat the foot to try to keep it balanced but you can not change the growth pattern or prevent it from happening. Usually the heel actually grows faster than the toe on a true clubbed.foot. horses with high angles can be because they are wearing off their toes faster than their heels and that can be corrected.

To try to treat club foot generally it is best to learn how to rasp the heel down and work closely with a farrier to keep the horse in balance.

There was an interesting study on horses with an underrun hoof on one leg and an upright hoof on the other (often seen in clubby horses) and they actually found one leg was longer than the other so to treat it to creat an even gait the actually kept the hooves at different lengths. Kind of fascinating.

My stud damaged his shoulder screw I around last year and now his hoof on that leg gets pretty clubby. Such a shame but he's old and I'm just trying to get him comfortable. Probably taking him to a podiatrist soon :(

“Daddy said that I could stick my nose in this thread (because I’m a horse) so here’s my picture “
“And daddy loves me!” EACC12B7-9DD8-4743-91ED-B845EF24B9FB.jpeg

I rode a mustang quite a bit about 20 years ago. Laziest slowest most sure footed horse I've ever been on. Not too many breeds I haven't had a chance to throw a leg over though.... Dang I miss that life!!
I don’t ride Chaco. She’s a lawn ornament to my property. And she’s a loving pet. :love

Back
Top Bottom