Pics
It's truly up to the buyer as much as it is the horse.

I personally wouldn't pay $3,500 for an almost 20 year old horse. Does that mean she's not worth $3,500? Absolutely not. To me she's not, but that's because I'd have no use for another senior.

As for the SPB colt (I think it was a colt), for $4,500 I expect to at least see papers or at the very least, bloodlines in the ad.

Horse market here in the US is good again. I'm still trying to get used to that. 6 years ago I could go pickup an APHA registered yearling that's already been shown and had points for 2k. Could also find registered horses with their ROM in kill pens.

Horse world is a crazy place.

there are many variables in the price of a horse. In essence, it depends on what somebody is willing to pay for them.
Some horses are dirt cheap by anyone's idea, but once they go to a different market, the price skyrockets!
Some folks just need to clear out some space, at any cost. Back in the late 2000s, during the recession, one could have picked up young stock for less than $100! Yes, one hundred. Not all made it to knowledgeable homes.
Good training is always a plus: A horse with a job has a better chance to land a home.
As is good behavior. Few people are equipped to handle a firebreathing dragon, more yet have no interest in doing so. Horses that behave badly don't fare well.

and last: Age is no guarantee. Horses have self-destructive tendencies. usually late on a stormy Saturday night when no vet is available. The 19 year old mare might be able to go strong for another decade, the colt could drop dead tomorrow.
for folks with the abilities, Thoroughbreds off the track can be a good deal. They have been handled, broke to saddle, socialized and desensitized a great deal. They just need to learn a new set of tools, and they can become solid citizens for you.
On the other hand, in the Quarterhorse world, youngsters are often trained hard as 2 yo to collect the big Futurity purses. They might not last long before their early use catches up with them and they break down.
the thing about the horse market" It depends.
We have more experience with OTTBs than quarter horses, but it's been my experience that horses which come from any type of intense training early in their life have the ingredients to bring with them all kinds of baggage - both emotional and physical.

We learned early on that most OTTBs have bone chips, old ligament/tendon injuries, and more. These issues may never cause a problem but more often than not they do end up coming back to haunt the poor horse as they age. No different than we humans deal with arthritis and other problems as we age if we played heavy sports in our youth.

We've also seen a lot of horses who have been traumatized by bad trainers. These horses CAN be rehabilitated but it takes a long time to rebuild the trust with that horse and deprogram the over-sensitivity in their flight response. A scared or aggressive horse is a dangerous horse, especially to people who aren't equipped to handle that type of behavior. I'm always concerned when I see ads for horses who have been tagged as "ring sour."

This horse that's at the stable where I ride is 38 years old! I couldn't believe it!!
IMG20220719121913.jpg

It's truly up to the buyer as much as it is the horse.

I personally wouldn't pay $3,500 for an almost 20 year old horse. Does that mean she's not worth $3,500? Absolutely not. To me she's not, but that's because I'd have no use for another senior.

As for the SPB colt (I think it was a colt), for $4,500 I expect to at least see papers or at the very least, bloodlines in the ad.

Horse market here in the US is good again. I'm still trying to get used to that. 6 years ago I could go pickup an APHA registered yearling that's already been shown and had points for 2k. Could also find registered horses with their ROM in kill pens.

Horse world is a crazy place.
Prices have definitely gone back up. Friesian foals were holding steady at about $8-12k, now they've jumped to $15-25k!!!

Back
Top Bottom