Sysco again
5BA2975F-80D0-433A-96E4-F6BEEACFE4D6.jpeg
A4E4DEE3-4B84-41BB-A2D0-D7742DD6F343.jpeg
B6E49D83-55B7-4204-B2CA-B540F42CB098.jpeg
C0835A76-E1BB-4A09-86CD-95049790E4C1.jpeg

Iz with her old lady. She was just diagnosed with Cushing's. 😞
My 28-yr-old gelding was diagnosed with Cushing's a few years ago, and he's doing fairly well on medication (Prascend) high-protein/low-starch diet, plenty of turnout and a lysine supplement for muscle building, also exercise in a round-pen and different activities in-hand to keep his mind engaged.

My 28-yr-old gelding was diagnosed with Cushing's a few years ago, and he's doing fairly well on medication (Prascend) high-protein/low-starch diet, plenty of turnout and a lysine supplement for muscle building, also exercise in a round-pen and different activities in-hand to keep his mind engaged.
Thank you! I wondered if a lysine supplement would be beneficial.

Everything getting stupid expensive....as if horses weren't ALREADY expensive enough! I got my 3 mares' teeth floated today. A gut punch at $350. :eek:
Geez, yes. Every boarding place and vet bill in my area has increased by 30-50% in the past two years, mostly because of the increase in hay prices (due to increases for fuel it takes to mow and bale hay, as well as fertilizer the hay growers have to buy)
What I don't get, is why prices for horses have increased by 100% or more, at the same time?! Last time in 2008-2009, when the housing and land market tanked, when people were losing their land and homes due to foreclosure, horses were being sold for nothing or given away. These days, people in my area are getting $5000 for a 22-year-old horse who's blind in one eye. but quiet with kids. Whereas in other parts of the country, young horses are going to slaughter auction for $500. I don't get it!
Thank you! I wondered if a lysine supplement would be beneficial.
It might or might not - it depends on how much topline muscle mass has already been weakened. You should definitely try it - it's fairly inexpensive and at least I've found lysine, along with Cushing's medication and exercise, has delayed my old guy from becoming painful or uncomfortable.
I have hopes (probably in vain) that my boy might be ridden again, even if only lightly WTC, if we keep up with good turnout, exercise in the round pen including longing with side-reins, fun stuff in-hand on the trail course...but his back muscles and ligaments are still weak, though with the lysine supplement and medication, his core strength hasn't degenerated and he still moves like a superstar at liberty.

Geez, yes. Every boarding place and vet bill in my area has increased by 30-50% in the past two years, mostly because of the increase in hay prices (due to increases for fuel it takes to mow and bale hay, as well as fertilizer the hay growers have to buy)
What I don't get, is why prices for horses have increased by 100% or more, at the same time?! Last time in 2008-2009, when the housing and land market tanked, when people were losing their land and homes due to foreclosure, horses were being sold for nothing or given away. These days, people in my area are getting $5000 for a 22-year-old horse who's blind in one eye. but quiet with kids. Whereas in other parts of the country, young horses are going to slaughter auction for $500. I don't get it!

It might or might not - it depends on how much topline muscle mass has already been weakened. You should definitely try it - it's fairly inexpensive and at least I've found lysine, along with Cushing's medication and exercise, has delayed my old guy from becoming painful or uncomfortable.
I have hopes (probably in vain) that my boy might be ridden again, even if only lightly WTC, if we keep up with good turnout, exercise in the round pen including longing with side-reins, fun stuff in-hand on the trail course...but his back muscles and ligaments are still weak, though with the lysine supplement and medication, his core strength hasn't degenerated and he still moves like a superstar at liberty.
Yeah, my daughter trains and sells OTTBs. Her and her business partner get a minimum of $5k per horse. Most are $10k+. For an OTTB with 1-2 months of training. Crazy. I know English riding and Eventing are past times of many wealthy people but with the economy in the tank, I can't fathom how people are spending $25k - $100k on a horse for their kid. 🤔

Back
Top Bottom