I knew a very old horse, I can’t remember what breed he was, but his name was Smokey. Smokey was 37 and still got ridden lightly 1-2 times per week. He was just one of those horses that the others just seemed to know to respect. Smokey was the type of horse that you could throw any type of rider on and he would do well for them. I never rode him, I only fed at the barn, and by golly that horse acted like he was still a colt. He would gallop with the youngsters just a bucking and a leaping and he could outrun some of them too. Unfortunately though great horses don’t last forever. Just a few months ago Smokey peacefully took his last breath in the comfort of his home with his owner and previous owner who both loved him to death. They kindly put him down after his health declined quickly. Some horses last a very long time… others don’t. Just a reminder to not take any moment with your equines for granted, you’ll never know when your last ride together will be. ❤️

At what age should you stop riding a horse?
I don't have horses, so what Mare says is what you should go by. But from my experience riding and having a family that owns horses I think teenaged horses are the best for riding. They're usually dead broke by then and still healthy enough to enjoy the trail. I hate riding youngsters, my favorite horses to ride have always been about 15-20.

Tucker got his feet done today! Before and After pics are attached...
A1220529-61B7-402F-9292-AAEA58F8B478.jpeg
8AB303E2-424D-4652-835B-63A0CA27E1F3.jpeg
396E5016-2461-41E5-B9DC-E35DD1A92048.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom