Likely nothing serious. All my old guys get stiff and don't bend as easily here and there. After stretching a bit they're much better.
Ah okay that makes sense.
I really don't know, there WAS a split that went up the front of that hoof about 2 inches
Maybe the split was painful or something?

Hold on tight to him! Good farriers are worth their weight in gold.
So true. We are so lucky to have an amazing farrier who is the type of guy who asked to come early, and when we told him we wouldn’t be there early we told him he was welcome to pull them from the pasture and he was happy to. He also had to raise his price due to gas, but he held off raising it for us for months.

I know I haven't posted much Tucker seems so cute! I love seeing newly trimmed horse feet lol!

Ginger, the mare I work with, had and still sorta has an issue with sometimes kicking out with her back feet when they get done, or when I pick them out. But it's only because I know she gets pretty stiff and sometimes sore in her hindquarters. I've been doing stretches and daily work with her and so she hasn't done it in a long time, but every now and again something will feel off to her I guess and she'll snatch her foot away. I'm sure like others said that Tucker might just have felt stiff or a little sore. Especially if he hasn't been worked much or is being brought back into work?

I know I haven't posted much Tucker seems so cute! I love seeing newly trimmed horse feet lol!

Ginger, the mare I work with, had and still sorta has an issue with sometimes kicking out with her back feet when they get done, or when I pick them out. But it's only because I know she gets pretty stiff and sometimes sore in her hindquarters. I've been doing stretches and daily work with her and so she hasn't done it in a long time, but every now and again something will feel off to her I guess and she'll snatch her foot away. I'm sure like others said that Tucker might just have felt stiff or a little sore. Especially if he hasn't been worked much or is being brought back into work?
I doubt he was worked very much at the old place so that’s probably why

We brushed out ticker and lunged him on his new lead rope, 14ft instead of 10ft this time. We got him loping nicely then stopped him and started desensitizing to the rope, he just stood, didn’t shudder or spook, NOTHING. We then approached him with the saddle pad (new saddle being picked up sometime this wk) slid it on his back, took it off, slid it back on his back, walked him around with it on, brought him to a stop and my brother gave me a leg up. I sat on his back for the FIRST time ever and he just stood there, I flexed him and he handled it like a champ (mind you all we did was clip a lead rope to one side of his halter and tie it to the other because he is used to being ridden with a hackamore.) I expected him to spook AT LEAST a little, but nope! Asked him to walk and he started forward very nicely, asked him to stop and he did so promptly. I then slid off his back, lunged him for about 5 more min, then walked him to the barn, brushed him down and let him loose. But noOooOo, he didn’t want us to leave and followed us to the gate and stood there while we pulled out on the side by side.

I can tell he’s going to be a real friend and he gets excited about being ridden which is nice, he’s easy to catch in his 3 acre pasture, pleasant to work with and is great all around.

Sorry for the rant…

We brushed out ticker and lunged him on his new lead rope, 14ft instead of 10ft this time. We got him loping nicely then stopped him and started desensitizing to the rope, he just stood, didn’t shudder or spook, NOTHING. We then approached him with the saddle pad (new saddle being picked up sometime this wk) slid it on his back, took it off, slid it back on his back, walked him around with it on, brought him to a stop and my brother gave me a leg up. I sat on his back for the FIRST time ever and he just stood there, I flexed him and he handled it like a champ (mind you all we did was clip a lead rope to one side of his halter and tie it to the other because he is used to being ridden with a hackamore.) I expected him to spook AT LEAST a little, but nope! Asked him to walk and he started forward very nicely, asked him to stop and he did so promptly. I then slid off his back, lunged him for about 5 more min, then walked him to the barn, brushed him down and let him loose. But noOooOo, he didn’t want us to leave and followed us to the gate and stood there while we pulled out on the side by side.

I can tell he’s going to be a real friend and he gets excited about being ridden which is nice, he’s easy to catch in his 3 acre pasture, pleasant to work with and is great all around.

Sorry for the rant…
Not a rant! A wonderful story! ❤️

@Overo Mare I got this pic of him yawning, can you age him now?
73A021AA-493C-4C29-B457-D732D94BA1F7.jpeg
9DFCB375-0FC2-4F80-A5B4-590CB91C2CA3.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom