Most thoroughbreds are just flat out NUTTY... I have 4 of them currently and had numerous others in the past. I've also owned QH, Paints, Arabians (also nutty), warmbloods, and ponies. QH and Paints were always the calmest and most laid back. Ponies were the easiest keepers, followed by QH and Paints. Point being that Thoroughbreds are great athletic horses and can be very personable, but they almost always require an experienced owner AND rider to manage them properly.
Yes I agree. I have owned three off the track and they were athletic as all get out but they required too much feed and time in order to make them a great horse in another discipline for my taste. Also, the bugs made them insane. They had to have fly sheets, etc to be comfortable out in the pasture. All but one I owned ended up being decent barrel horses. The other def excelled better in jumping/english classes. Super sweet though, they were like puppy dogs.

Yes I agree. I have owned three off the track and they were athletic as all get out but they required too much feed and time in order to make them a great horse in another discipline for my taste. Also, the bugs made them insane. They had to have fly sheets, etc to be comfortable out in the pasture. All but one I owned ended up being decent barrel horses. The other def excelled better in jumping/english classes. Super sweet though, they were like puppy dogs.
I don't even want to recall how many wrecked fly sheets, lost/pulled shoes (from stomping, or vet supplies/visits I've paid for because mine run through the trees (or fence) trying to get bugs off or just get in a good scratch. 🙄

I've really only worked with one Thoroughbred (yet), Ginger, but my gosh I have learned SO much about Thoroughbreds just from her. They certainly are nutty lol! Shockingly she doesn't destroy her stuff (I got lucky I guess!) but lately she's been shaking and stomping her feet like crazy if I don't fly spray her before I groom and tack her. I call her a drama queen. 😂

Before we figured out she had navicular disease and arthritis, she kept going lame and had to go on extended periods of stall rest. My gosh that horse was going bonkers...poor girl. Once when we tried to use her when she was feeling a bit better (coming off of stall rest) a volunteer accidentally clipped her to some real (solid) cross ties and she ripped out the side of the wash rack... my boss thought for certain she'd break a leg, but luckily she didn't.

Back
Top Bottom