Very furry this time of year. This is Elvis. He's wondering when dinner is being served.

Elvis.jpg

How is everyone’s horses doing?
Good! they're not directly mine, but the horse I'm training showed some huge improvement last session, but the mare I take care, of Ginger, just got her feet redone and is feeling a little sore. She has navicular and arthritis in one foot so usually new shoes and angles does that to her. I was starting to lunge her a little walk/jog to get her feeling good, and had the bright idea to try to free lunge her the other night and she decided to turn into a race horse 🙃

How are your horses doing??

Very furry this time of year. This is Elvis. He's wondering when dinner is being served.

View attachment 3753117
He’s soooo cute! I do like when they get all furry!
Good! they're not directly mine, but the horse I'm training showed some huge improvement last session, but the mare I take care, of Ginger, just got her feet redone and is feeling a little sore. She has navicular and arthritis in one foot so usually new shoes and angles does that to her. I was starting to lunge her a little walk/jog to get her feeling good, and had the bright idea to try to free lunge her the other night and she decided to turn into a race horse 🙃

How are your horses doing??
Glad they’re doing good!

Mine are both super fuzzy! In the cutest of ways.

My farrier did an interesting job on my mare 3 weeks ago - she's had a slight hoof crack for several months, that normally should have grown out, especially since she is always shod so there's no stress on her hoof to make the crack bigger. But her crack instead of growing out, kept traveling up the hoof wall - just a slight crack, not enough to make her unsound, but frustrating because we couldn't get it to grow out.

The farrier thought, and I agree, the crack keeps persisting up her hoof wall because bacteria is getting in there and preventing healthy hoof growth. It's not white-line disease, but if we did nothing, it would progress into white-line disease.

So our farrier took his rasp and filed a line into the hoof wall above the crack, pretty deeply in to where the crack started, but carefully not into the lamina. It looked pretty shocking! But amazingly it is not at all uncomfortable for her at all, and she is still 100% sound. Every day I clean her hoof really well, then squirt a bacteria-killer (Dura-sole) into the exposed hole, until it runs out of the bottom.

So far, the crack has stayed below the shocking line, and 3 weeks later looks like it's starting to finally grow out. Can't wait to see what it looks like in 6 more weeks!

Back
Top Bottom