Houdans

Pics
1.) Ours lay excellent (for our needs) 4 eggs on 1 day off average rotation.
2.) They really dont show any interest in going broody or even staying in the nest box.
The houdans were the only ones who didnt lay an egg under our broody. Everyone else was trying to squeeze another egg under her.
3.) The houdans are very hardy (tough and dont mind big temp changes or injuries), but more of them have died to sickness when compared to our silkies. On the other hand their chick survival rate is much higher.

That's my story. Hope it helps.

I'm not entirely sure on the rooster probability.
In one group the early crest was our rooster, then in another it wasnt. I think crest development is unrelated to sex, but I dont have enough experience to give a 100% answer.

Last edited:
I'm not entirely sure on the rooster probability.
In one group the early crest was our rooster, then in another it wasnt. I think crest development is unrelated to sex, but I dont have enough experience to give a 100% answer.
My girls always had crests that stood straight up and the boys had them swept back. I sexed Gigi at 2 weeks. He also had much bigger nares.

can you see Gigi to the far left here? The two girls on the right, and a little EE rooster flying. Man I miss these guys :(

Back
Top Bottom