Houdans

Pics
I've been following this thread lately and would like to know what appeals to you about the Houdans. What makes them special to you?

I am new to Houdans but have two reasons why I wanted them:

1. Last year, I told my kids that they could chose a breed of chicken for this year if they did the following: Research a dual purpose breed and submit a short essay about why this would be a good breed for us. My son was the only one that did and his choice was Houdan. He is on the Autism Spectrum, so anything that sparks his interest, sparks mine. He has since forgotten his interest in them though
roll.png

2. After DS submitted his paper, it was my turn to research. I discovered that they are a fairly rare breed with very few dedicated breeders. I went back and forth a lot about whether I should try to become one of those breeders and ultimately decided that I should. I currently have three girls in my brooder and eggs that might hatch on Monday, although they are not in good shape. The girls are pretty funny. They are nosy except one who every time she sees me, hides in the corner. "If I face the corner she can't see me."

I've been following this thread lately and would like to know what appeals to you about the Houdans. What makes them special to you?

Over the past dozen years of raising chickens, I've developed a list of desirable qualities: 1) Temperament must be stable. No aggressive males (or females) particularly with small children, 2) Egg laying - they must produce sufficient quantities of eggs during the appropriate times of year. A winter hiatus is acceptable though we select for late and early season layers, 3) Hardiness. I don't pamper my poultry. They must be willing and able to forage for at least 50% of their diet, have predator savy and be able to thrive in our climate of wet winter cold and high summer heat/humidity, and last, but not least, with all the work involved raising chickens, I have to enjoy them - watching them, working around them and handling them. As for aesthetics, I personally like crests, patterns, rich coloration and unique characteristics. Houdans have it all.

My Houdi (rooster) would have been named Charlie Chaplin if his original place holder name hadn't stuck. He is such a comedian. Coming home at the end of a hard day at work to see him up to his antics with the girls just puts a smile on my face.

It is a shame that this breed isn't more popular, so I'm doing my part to make sure they don't disappear altogether.

Last edited:
To be honest I came into them by accident, however they are the perfect balance of form and function.
Like many dual purpose breeds the Houdan has good eggs and meat (but dont tell the wife) however the real value only starts there. Houdans are quite intersting to look at and interact with. Not so flighty, good on imprinting, clean, and the list goes on. They really have the best of just about anything for an ameature chickeneer or some of the very professional breeders.

All I can really say is that they are some very unique chickens when compared to other breeds of any kind. Sure they might not be perfect but they are about as close as any chicken I have met.
The evil genius in me is experimenting now to see if I can add a little to that perfection. Most likely not, but its fun to try!

Been so busy haven't had time to check in with the group. No houdan news. Winter drags on even though it's supposed to be spring. No one is laying at the moment either.

We have been having nice spring weather (to include thunderstorms) but I am enjoying it. Kids scraped out and cleaned the coop today. Next week the run is on schedule for cleaning. Not their favorite part of owning chickens but necessary.

Hope all are having a happy spring.
celebrate.gif

Houkies are growing, and looking more like silkies than Houdans.
Was hoping for more motting, but we'll see how they turn out in a few months.
Everybody is happy and enjoying their first trip to the sandbox.

the mottling gene needs 2 copy's to show so if you cross a mottled bird and a non mottled bird u will get 100% none mottled birds... if you breed 2 birds that are carrying mottling 50% of there chicks will show it...
Houkies are growing, and looking more like silkies than Houdans.
Was hoping for more motting, but we'll see how they turn out in a few months.
Everybody is happy and enjoying their first trip to the sandbox.

Back
Top Bottom