Hound hunters and out of control dogs

Aaaaand of course there is no electric poultry netting in stock locally. Figures. Looks like I will miss the thaw coming up since I'll have to either order some or find some other solution for the near-term.

I'd say a gun if you lived down south🤗 ever heard of a conabear trap?
I realize I left it out of the original post, but as I was dragging the dog over to confront the guy who came out of the forest (who was armed), he radioed his buddies to zoom partway up my driveway in an SUV and wait, so this was not a situation that needed more guns on display and shooting the dogs is probably not wise unless I truly end up with no other options down the line (more on that below). I never interacted with the SUV people because they zoomed off before I got back to my driveway.

Is there a reason you can't just shoot them?
Legally I could have, since they were actively threatening pets and livestock. However, can and should are two different things. People can be really funny about dogs compared to other domestic animals. If I'd just shot their dogs, I'd be worried that I'd come home to dead chickens one day in response.

Aaaaand of course there is no electric poultry netting in stock locally. Figures. Looks like I will miss the thaw coming up since I'll have to either order some or find some other solution for the near-term.

I realize I left it out of the original post, but as I was dragging the dog over to confront the guy who came out of the forest (who was armed), he radioed his buddies to zoom partway up my driveway in an SUV and wait, so this was not a situation that needed more guns on display and shooting the dogs is probably not wise unless I truly end up with no other options down the line (more on that below). I never interacted with the SUV people because they zoomed off before I got back to my driveway.

Legally I could have, since they were actively threatening pets and livestock. However, can and should are two different things. People can be really funny about dogs compared to other domestic animals. If I'd just shot their dogs, I'd be worried that I'd come home to dead chickens one day in response.
Premier electric fence netting is always in stock on Amazon and if sign up for a trial Prime account it can be shipped free.Edit:
Because of the price it ships free w/o prime)

I agree, and it is always best to put safety first. But I am a redneck guy who grew up with guns so they don't really intimidate me.:)

But I am a redneck guy who grew up with guns so they don't really intimidate me.
I also grew up around rural folks with guns and exercised by 2nd amendment right as soon as I was able to move back out to an area that didn't have stupid rules. Things like open carry have never bothered me. Just so long as it's someone acting respectably or at least, you know, acting normal...not a twitchy dude hiding in my forest who feels the need to call his buddies up my driveway because he's getting yelled at by a 5'4" unarmed woman. When something's off it's off.

I'm in Otego (Otsego county). Lots of folks with horses but no horseback fox hunting that I've seen. This may sound weird but I would actually prefer horseback fox hunters even though the dogs are basically the same out of control mess. The horse hunters don't try to hide like cowards and also don't usually carry guns with them. These dudes really didn't want me to know who they were and were very reluctant to show their face and speak to me to get their dog back. My husband also found tracks from that that show they've been hiding out of sight at least twice before when he goes to walk our dog. Trying to hide from us on our own land is pretty low.

I know the one you mean; followed the development of that mess as the videos were coming out and that actually made me read up on the topic more broadly, so I knew exactly what I was running into when I saw those radio collars. Unfortunately I can only reasonably fence off the cleared part of the land. Over 20 acres of mostly forest is too much though. They could just take things down on the further out parts of the land and I wouldn't notice right away.

In 6 months anyway their dogs will also get to contend with my dog, and she's already heavier than their adult dogs were. When the hunters tried to tell me they were doing a good deed by hunting coyotes I cut them off saying my great pyrenees keeps them away just fine. Going by facial expressions, the breed name drop seemed to have the strongest impact out of anything I said to them.
Concentrating your efforts on the cleared areas is a wise decision. In 6 months your dog will be older and the hunting dogs less of a concern.

I also grew up around rural folks with guns and exercised by 2nd amendment right as soon as I was able to move back out to an area that didn't have stupid rules. Things like open carry have never bothered me. Just so long as it's someone acting respectably or at least, you know, acting normal...not a twitchy dude hiding in my forest who feels the need to call his buddies up my driveway because he's getting yelled at by a 5'4" unarmed woman. When something's off it's off.
Yeah, some people are just plain weird.

It sounds like you were able to safely grab the dog (without getting bitten).
If it happens again, you might take the dog to the local pound, or take it into your house and call animal control to report that you found a "lost dog."

That way, the owner could could get their dog back safely, but only by dealing with some kind of authorities instead of directly with you. That might be safer for you (given what you've described), would make the authorities clearly aware of the situation, might deter the owner from letting the dog on your property again, and would hopefully not endanger your chickens (by taking the dog to the pound instead of shooting it, you hopefully avoid the owner retaliating against your chickens.)

Back
Top Bottom