Hovabator Genesis Hatch, Feb-May! WITH CONTESTS!

Quote:
that is just too precious!
love.gif
(what a good mommy!) Are the chicks under her ones she hatched or the ones from the bator?

They are the ones from the incubator. 3 of them.

As far as hens killing chicks from the incubator. I think it may be in the way they chicks are introduced to the broody.

I slipped them under her just after dark and waited and listened to see if she got upset that there were "intruders" in her nest. She didn't. I checked on them several times before I was totally convinced I could go to bed.

The chicks weren't even quite 12hrs old when I put them under her, it was about 8pm. They went straight from the incubator to under her so they knew her as mom and not me.

I wasn't sure if she would accept them as she's only been sitting a little over a week but she did.

One thing I didn't consider, if only one more hatches, I won't be able to get it under her unless it hatches today or before she leaves the nest with the chicks. If any more are gonna hatch I just hope it's 2 and not 1.
roll.png

Quote:
Nah. But you have to put them under the broody at night, after she's been sitting on eggs for a while, and they have to be in the first 2 days or so since hatch.

Cloverleaf, could you put another chick or two in the next night, or should they all be placed there at once?

Mrs. Mucket :

Quote:
Nah. But you have to put them under the broody at night, after she's been sitting on eggs for a while, and they have to be in the first 2 days or so since hatch.

Cloverleaf, could you put another chick or two in the next night, or should they all be placed there at once?​

Ideally all at once, but I bet if you do it at night, and the very next day, she won't even notice.
wink.png

My Silkie broody and the 3 chicks I slipped under her are doing great. It's really gonna be a sight in a few weeks when they are as big as her. lol.

I'm starting to think I won't have to worry about slipping anymore under her. The remaining 3 shipped eggs still haven't pipped and I'm starting to lose hope.
hmm.png

Quote:
What day are you on?

Day 21. I put these in 9am on the 3rd and I put my own 3 in at 9pm that same night. My own 3 hatched yesterday am.

Don't give up yet. They could be late hatchers. I've read alot on here to not toss anything until day 25, but usually if I don't get things to hatch by day 23 I at least recandle to check for movement. If I don't see any movement, I "flick" my nail against the air cell to crack a small hole, and pick away shell until I can see inside.
wink.png

Quote:
Day 21. I put these in 9am on the 3rd and I put my own 3 in at 9pm that same night. My own 3 hatched yesterday am.

Don't give up yet. They could be late hatchers. I've read alot on here to not toss anything until day 25, but usually if I don't get things to hatch by day 23 I at least recandle to check for movement. If I don't see any movement, I "flick" my nail against the air cell to crack a small hole, and pick away shell until I can see inside.
wink.png

fl.gif
I really hope they are just late. I'll be sooooo disappointed if none of these hatch..
barnie.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom