How about watermelon and cantaloupe seeds?

I've fed all of the above to our chickens at some point in time. They absolutely love them!!! It is a treat for them to eat the left-over parts of the melon off of the rind.
I threw my chickens out a WHOLE watermelon, the first one they had ever seen, of course it burst when i threw it on the ground! I even went the extra mile and broke it up in smaller sections .. they anxiously awaited to see what it was .. I moved back to watch they walked over .. looked it over turned up their noses and walked away!!!
I'm thinking really? That's a GOOD watermelon .. a little over ripe but I've eat many that were (no I'm not a chicken) could that be why they wouldn't touch it?
Do I need to remove it from the yard? Chances of them eating it are slim but I don't want them to "decide" to eat it after it's spoiled?

I threw my chickens out a WHOLE watermelon, the first one they had ever seen, of course it burst when i threw it on the ground! I even went the extra mile and broke it up in smaller sections .. they anxiously awaited to see what it was .. I moved back to watch they walked over .. looked it over turned up their noses and walked away!!!
I'm thinking really? That's a GOOD watermelon .. a little over ripe but I've eat many that were (no I'm not a chicken) could that be why they wouldn't touch it?
Do I need to remove it from the yard? Chances of them eating it are slim but I don't want them to "decide" to eat it after it's spoiled?
:welcome hello:frow

I can hardly get through the gate into the run if they see watermelon in my hands. They jump up waist high and try to sneak a bite as I carry it to the back of the run. Yes, watermelon is a popular item. I do cut it into wedges as if serving to kids. Nothing but the skin of the rind left when they are done.

Back
Top Bottom