HOW BEST TO PACKAGE EGGS FOR SHIPPING DO"S AND DON"TS

I'm posting on here to save this thread so I can read it later. Lots of good information here.
big_smile.png

How does everyone feel about the following.....I purchased eggs from a breeder, I specifically asked the seller to please mark outside of the box LIVE EMBRYOS. The eggs arrived today, the box was pretty beat up, fortunately the eggs are intact but I wonder how the internal quality of the eggs are. I questioned the seller about not marking the box as I had requested....his answer was I NEVER mark the box and NEVER will, he says the postal workers advised him not to. My big question here is shouldn't the seller have followed my directions and marked the box as I requested, I always request this and this is the first time someone refused, and how liable is the seller for the beat up box of eggs that might never hatch because they were manhandled. Curious to see how others feel. thanks in advance for your imput BTW I paid $53.50 for express delivery in the hopes of getting them as swiftly as possible and in good shape.

I just received shipped eggs from two different members of this group. Both were packaged differently. Let me reflect:

Shipment 1 and 2: traveled 2000 miles in 4 days. Single boxed, peanuts and bubble wrap below and above packed eggs. Each egg wrapped burrito style in small bubble pack and taped. Each wrapped egg slid into light cardboard "cells". A few more eggs added where they fit. Peanuts around the outside, taped shut, marked Fragile. One box was a little bashed, but no broken eggs and about 20% of the eggs have saddle cells. At 17 days in, I am at 80% live and growing on 50 eggs. The mail carrier brought the box to the door on its side under his arm.

Shipment 3: traveled 500 miles in 2 days. Double boxed, crumpled newspaper between boxes. Each egg wrapped burrito style in dense black pipe foam insulation and taped. Wrapped eggs snugly packed into box, and scrap foam and peanuts filled the remainder of the inner box. I'm only a day in, but no damage to the 20 eggs. There are a few loose air cells. The box was marked "Fragile Live Embryos" and the carrier called me to ask permission to deliver it with the regular mail. I met her at the road and the box was in her truck in a horizontal position.

Bottom line, shipping eggs is hard on eggs. I don't know that it makes a difference how the box is marked. Express mail is quickly routed and transported for a steep fee, I am willing to bet that those packages ride the same distribution path as every other package. I expect a 50% hatch rate (at least as far as viability is concerned) and will be thrilled if I hit 75%.

Express Mail is not the same as Special Handling. You may want to use this next time: http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/503.htm#1064255

Basic Standards

13.1.1 Description

Special Handling is subject to the basic standards in 1.0; see 1.4.1 for eligible matter. Special handling provides preferential handling, but not preferential delivery, to the extent practicable in dispatch and transportation. The service does not itself insure the article against loss or damage. Special handling is mandatory for material that requires extra care in handling, transportation, and delivery.
13.1.2 Bees and Poultry

Unless sent at First-Class Mail, First-Class Package Service, or Priority Mail prices, special handling is required for parcels containing honeybees or baby poultry.
13.1.3 Marking

The marking “Special Handling” must appear prominently above the address and to the right of the return address on each piece for which special handling service is requested.
13.1.4 Parcel Select - Nonmachinable Parcels

The Parcel Select nonmachinable surcharge is not charged on parcels sent with special handling.

Last edited:
I just received shipped eggs from two different members of this group. Both were packaged differently. Let me reflect:

Shipment 1 and 2: traveled 2000 miles in 4 days. Single boxed, peanuts and bubble wrap below and above packed eggs. Each egg wrapped burrito style in small bubble pack and taped. Each wrapped egg slid into light cardboard "cells". A few more eggs added where they fit. Peanuts around the outside, taped shut, marked Fragile. One box was a little bashed, but no broken eggs and about 20% of the eggs have saddle cells. At 17 days in, I am at 80% live and growing on 50 eggs. The mail carrier brought the box to the door on its side under his arm.

Shipment 3: traveled 500 miles in 2 days. Double boxed, crumpled newspaper between boxes. Each egg wrapped burrito style in dense black pipe foam insulation and taped. Wrapped eggs snugly packed into box, and scrap foam and peanuts filled the remainder of the inner box. I'm only a day in, but no damage to the 20 eggs. There are a few loose air cells. The box was marked "Fragile Live Embryos" and the carrier called me to ask permission to deliver it with the regular mail. I met her at the road and the box was in her truck in a horizontal position.

Bottom line, shipping eggs is hard on eggs. I don't know that it makes a difference how the box is marked. Express mail is quickly routed and transported for a steep fee, I am willing to bet that those packages ride the same distribution path as every other package. I expect a 50% hatch rate (at least as far as viability is concerned) and will be thrilled if I hit 75%.

Express Mail is not the same as Special Handling. You may want to use this next time: http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/503.htm#1064255

Basic Standards

13.1.1 Description

Special Handling is subject to the basic standards in 1.0; see 1.4.1 for eligible matter. Special handling provides preferential handling, but not preferential delivery, to the extent practicable in dispatch and transportation. The service does not itself insure the article against loss or damage. Special handling is mandatory for material that requires extra care in handling, transportation, and delivery.
13.1.2 Bees and Poultry

Unless sent at First-Class Mail, First-Class Package Service, or Priority Mail prices, special handling is required for parcels containing honeybees or baby poultry.
13.1.3 Marking

The marking “Special Handling” must appear prominently above the address and to the right of the return address on each piece for which special handling service is requested.
13.1.4 Parcel Select - Nonmachinable Parcels

The Parcel Select nonmachinable surcharge is not charged on parcels sent with special handling.
i have been shipping , recieving and hatching eggs for 20 yrs, i have recieved eggs in all kinds of pkging, my issue here is shouldn't the shipper have honored my request for box marking. Had he followed my directions and the box arrived damaged i couldn't complain as he had done as i requested, in this case he did not follow my directions and i feel he shares part of the culpability here.

i have been shipping , recieving and hatching eggs for 20 yrs, i have recieved eggs in all kinds of pkging, my issue here is shouldn't the shipper have honored my request for box marking. Had he followed my directions and the box arrived damaged i couldn't complain as he had done as i requested, in this case he did not follow my directions and i feel he shares part of the culpability here.

Hi there! I know I'm replying to an old post (and writing a book to boot) but it's an interesting thread (I just read it in its entirety) and deserves to be resurfaced. Thank you for starting it!

I have never shipped or received shipped eggs, but am trying to learn the best methods so that I do it right from the first.

I do, however, run a full-time online business and ship 5-10 packages a day of delicate, handmade paper artwork. And on that basis I have some thoughts about your query regarding your request for package marking.

My opinion is the seller was responsible to inform prior to shipping that he/she was unwilling to mark the box, and why.

The seller's poor communication created a grey zone of miscommunication. If you'd known seller's refusal before shipping, you could've informed seller the deal was off (and if you did inform seller prior to shipping, it's totally on seller to refund).

It was a mistake on seller's part, BUT, could you have also been upfront that failure to mark would be a deal breaker? Yes, and IMO it was your responsibility to inform seller of any deal breaking offenses they might commit. Assuming you didn't, then I see both parties as acting imperfectly, that is, just being humans and making little mistakes. So who is liable?

The answer is grey. Each seller must decide for themselves.

I've been in business for 6 years. Personally, I strive for clear policies and communication that avoid such grey zones. But when things do get murky with a customer, I typically offer at least 1/2 refund, or 1/2 off replacement shipment cost, depending on the individual situation. It says, we were both imperfect and we'll fix it together. I DO NOT subscribe to the philosophy that customer is just blindly always right. No human is just always right.

So.

The issue brings up an important addition to this thread. As critical as it is to package our eggs correctly, it is additionally important to present clear policies on returns, refunds, non-payment or time limits for payment receipt, etc. To avoid grey areas as much as possible. Because anytime you make a sale, you're a business. Act like one.

If, as a seller, you are unwilling to mark a box or otherwise deviate from how you package, that's fine, but that information needs to be presented in the item's listing description. Doing so protects sellers from heartache and hassle as much as buyers.

In my experience, most customers do not read your policies or simply skim them. But, when they come to you with a problem, if it was covered by the policies then you point them to the policies. It's their fault if they didn't read. You choose how to handle after that.

I suggest all sellers and potential sellers write your policies and then present them to friends, family, and other chicken keepers for critique and refinement. You can always make it clearer & more concise. 8th grade reading level is what we're striving for.

Same goes for package inserts. If you include incubation & brooding tips for your eggs, get a few non-chicken keeper friends to read over your tips.

Finally, I would advise that the more options you give customers, the more heartache and hassle you create for yourself. Options confuse customers, delay purchases, lose customers, result in additional questions, and create LOTS of new opportunities for you to make a mistake on the order. Maybe not too relevant here for eggs, but I wanted to mention it as I regard it as the single biggest mistake I've made with my own business.

Okay, that's my two cents as an online retailer who's hoping to branch out into selling serama eggs this fall. :)

OP, thanks again for the great thread. I've learned a lot here. Oh, btw, the video you guys/gals all kept linking to is now going to a 404 error page. Does anyone here have a good recommend for a different packing video?

I'm also interested in what size or number USPS boxes you all use for your double boxing. In case anyone read down this far, lol.

Last edited:
Hi there! I know I'm replying to an old post (and writing a book to boot) but it's an interesting thread (I just read it in its entirety) and deserves to be resurfaced. Thank you for starting it!

I have never shipped or received shipped eggs, but am trying to learn the best methods so that I do it right from the first.

I do, however, run a full-time online business and ship 5-10 packages a day of delicate, handmade paper artwork. And on that basis I have some thoughts about your query regarding your request for package marking.

My opinion is the seller was responsible to inform prior to shipping that he/she was unwilling to mark the box, and why.

The seller's poor communication created a grey zone of miscommunication. If you'd known seller's refusal before shipping, you could've informed seller the deal was off (and if you did inform seller prior to shipping, it's totally on seller to refund).

It was a mistake on seller's part, BUT, could you have also been upfront that failure to mark would be a deal breaker? Yes, and IMO it was your responsibility to inform seller of any deal breaking offenses they might commit. Assuming you didn't, then I see both parties as acting imperfectly, that is, just being humans and making little mistakes. So who is liable?

The answer is grey. Each seller must decide for themselves.

I've been in business for 6 years. Personally, I strive for clear policies and communication that avoid such grey zones. But when things do get murky with a customer, I typically offer at least 1/2 refund, or 1/2 off replacement shipment cost, depending on the individual situation. It says, we were both imperfect and we'll fix it together. I DO NOT subscribe to the philosophy that customer is just blindly always right. No human is just always right.

So.

The issue brings up an important addition to this thread. As critical as it is to package our eggs correctly, it is additionally important to present clear policies on returns, refunds, non-payment or time limits for payment receipt, etc. To avoid grey areas as much as possible. Because anytime you make a sale, you're a business. Act like one.

If, as a seller, you are unwilling to mark a box or otherwise deviate from how you package, that's fine, but that information needs to be presented in the item's listing description. Doing so protects sellers from heartache and hassle as much as buyers.

In my experience, most customers do not read your policies or simply skim them. But, when they come to you with a problem, if it was covered by the policies then you point them to the policies. It's their fault if they didn't read. You choose how to handle after that.

I suggest all sellers and potential sellers write your policies and then present them to friends, family, and other chicken keepers for critique and refinement. You can always make it clearer & more concise. 8th grade reading level is what we're striving for.

Same goes for package inserts. If you include incubation & brooding tips for your eggs, get a few non-chicken keeper friends to read over your tips.

Finally, I would advise that the more options you give customers, the more heartache and hassle you create for yourself. Options confuse customers, delay purchases, lose customers, result in additional questions, and create LOTS of new opportunities for you to make a mistake on the order. Maybe not too relevant here for eggs, but I wanted to mention it as I regard it as the single biggest mistake I've made with my own business.

Okay, that's my two cents as an online retailer who's hoping to branch out into selling serama eggs this fall. :)

OP, thanks again for the great thread. I've learned a lot here. Oh, btw, the video you guys/gals all kept linking to is now going to a 404 error page. Does anyone here have a good recommend for a different packing video?

I'm also interested in what size or number USPS boxes you all use for your double boxing. In case anyone read down this far, lol.
Hello, I am glad that the thread that I created has helped so many people, i saw a need and i filled that need with the thread. Regarding the marking issue that you raised, I have never in the many years of purchasing and selling encountered a seller before that flatly refused to mark the box as i requested. In EVERY other purchase when i asked the seller to mark the box a particular way, they were more than accomodating. I would also point out for the same reason, i have always accommodated every customers requests to the letter. My raising the issue in the thread was to get buyers and sellers thinking about best practices, we all learn from experiences and the dialog that results, so i guess we are accomplishing that here. Please note that i said that the seller bore "part" of the responsability. In my experience culpability lands in part in all participants shoulders. Thank so much for participating in the thread and for keeping the dialog upbeat.

Please note that i said that the seller bore "part" of the responsability. In my experience culpability lands in part in all participants shoulders.

Actually I did notice that, and I apologize for not bringing it up in my post. :)

If I gave the impression that I thought you were a customer who believed they were always right, I regret that and apologize again. That's certainly not my opinion. I did, however, experience a customer of that nature in my other business this week and I admit to thinking about her a little while typing today.

I appreciate you bringing up the issue of the box marking. It certainly did get me thinking about best practices and in general, about what sorts of requests customers may make once I start shipping eggs, and how I will address those.

BTW (to everyone generally), USPS employees do give different answers when asked the same question. So just a general tip to all shippers, if one employee says you shouldn't mark such and such on a box or don't bother insuring a certain type of shipment cause you can't file a claim successfully, get another opinion or two before you accept it as truth.

Actually I did notice that, and I apologize for not bringing it up in my post. :)

If I gave the impression that I thought you were a customer who believed they were always right, I regret that and apologize again. That's certainly not my opinion. I did, however, experience a customer of that nature in my other business this week and I admit to thinking about her a little while typing today.

I appreciate you bringing up the issue of the box marking. It certainly did get me thinking about best practices and in general, about what sorts of requests customers may make once I start shipping eggs, and how I will address those.

BTW (to everyone generally), USPS employees do give different answers when asked the same question. So just a general tip to all shippers, if one employee says you shouldn't mark such and such on a box or don't bother insuring a certain type of shipment cause you can't file a claim successfully, get another opinion or two before you accept it as truth.

re USPS employees, i agree that you can get diffrent answers from diffrent employees. I believe i had looked this very issue up in postal regs, and i think that I read that shipped eggs are not covered by insurance even if you manage to get a postal agent to sell you the insurance. T.

I received eggs today that were packaged in such a unique way I had to share. 15 eggs were inserted within a plastic easter egg with 3 tiny holes drilled in the top and bottom. Each egg was cushioned within the plastic Easter egg with a 2" square piece of small bubble wrap. Each plastic egg was taped with 2 pieces of scotch tape on each side of the egg. Each plastic egg was then placed in a styrofoam egg carton. The egg carton was wrapped in a sheet of foam shipping material, then placed in a shoebox size priority mail box filled with styrofoam packing peanuts. I thought this was an ingenious way to ensure the eggs were entirely encased in a plastic "shell", but given air holes to breath within the package. There was no breakage. The only thing I would have preferred would be a differently shaped priority mail box as the shoebox style requires that you open the sides of the box as opposed to the top and it is very difficult to get the carton out of the box without putting the box on end which disturbs the eggs' equilibrium as you have to tilt them on their side. I hope that the air cells will recover. I usually allow the eggs to "rest" overnight and then after I put them in the incubator I do not turn the egg turner on for 2-3 days, just to ensure the air cells have as much time as possible to recover.

It was kind of shocking looking in the egg carton and seeing the bright and garish plastic Easter Egg colors. My brain kind of did a somersault. Maybe we all need a little somersault every now and then to keep the neurons firing
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom