How to give shipped eggs the best chance of hatching

WhiteTreeOfGondor

"Even the very wise cannot see all ends.” -Gandalf
Apr 26, 2021
Upstate South Carolina
I got a little carried away :lol:. I'm now on waiting lists for 10 shipped Ancona duck eggs, 12 shipped Cayuga eggs, and 4 Cayuga ducklings. I've never hatched shipped eggs before and I know their hatching rates can be worse depending on how they were handled. Does anyone have any advice as to how I can give them the best chance to hatch? I've heard to rest them for a day first? Should there be any changes to humidity, or turning?

Some people recommend not turning them the first day they're in the incubator and incubating upright to keep the air cell stable
Thanks! I don't think there's a way I can incubate upright, unfortunately, since I have Nurture Right 360s and they lay the egg sideways. But I can delay turning.

Don't let them sit and put them preferably under a hen. I have shipped many many eggs and if the buyer takes my advice they have had very good hatch rates. I'd also advise you to tell the shipper to write nothing on the box indicating eggs. Writing hatching eggs or fragile or the like only brings unwanted attention. Keeping it real people are mean. I have personally experienced how things are done in a major usps hub. With my own eyes I have seen people throw boxes literally 30 feet to carts. You can tell they do it all the time. They are good at it. I've done experiments with and without writing on the boxes and the ones written on more times than not have had scrambled or broken eggs more often than the unwritten on boxes. Take my advise or leave it.

Screenshot_20220501-133812_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20220501-133819_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20220501-133826_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20220501-133959_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20220501-134128_Samsung Internet.jpg

How I ship my eggs

Don't let them sit and put them preferably under a hen. I have shipped many many eggs and if the buyer takes my advice they have had very good hatch rates. I'd also advise you to tell the shipper to write nothing on the box indicating eggs. Writing hatching eggs or fragile or the like only brings unwanted attention. Keeping it real people are mean. I have personally experienced how things are done in a major usps hub. With my own eyes I have seen people throw boxes literally 30 feet to carts. You can tell they do it all the time. They are good at it. I've done experiments with and without writing on the boxes and the ones written on more times than not have had scrambled or broken eggs more often than the unwritten on boxes. Take my advise or leave it.

View attachment 3406438View attachment 3406439View attachment 3406440View attachment 3406441View attachment 3406442

How I ship my eggs
Wow, thank you! That's terrible that they'd damage the eggs on purpose :(. I sure hope those people never come across any live ducklings or chicks being shipped.
That's an interesting shipping method you use, what is the dark foam stuff that the egg sits in?

ive ordered a dozen mixed barnyard eggs twice, cheapest i could find on ebay at a reasonable distance... unpacked them and straight into the bator, got like 8 out of one and 10 out of the other .. got to reiterate the distance factor, i wouldnt order eggs from california if your in newyork and make them get thrown on several planes and trucks to get to you, get them within a state or two if possible ...

Back
Top Bottom