How big for a chick safety area door?

Those are pretty big chicks for 3.5 weeks, are you sure on the age? My answer would've been "brick sized" and that's 2x4. I have chicks 7, 8 weeks of age still managing to barely squeeze through openings that size.

Do you have ample clutter in the run that doesn't have pinch points (like I don't have any clutter up against walls, so chicks can run all the way around) as well as feeders spread throughout the area? That's how to prevent chicks from being cornered and reduce guarding of food.
Agreed, keep the clutter out in the run away from walls or fencing

Adjustable is best! And that is a really healthy looking chick, I would've guessed she was older. :eek:

I usually herd them in and out of the openings a couple of times once they're in place, and they seem to remember it from there.
Somewhat similar approach here, I kick the ladies out into the yard and coax the littles out then back in👍

Adjustable is best! And that is a really healthy looking chick, I would've guessed she was older. :eek:

Thanks! She’s from Mt Healthy, 😂. The Americana (EE) from them is almost as big also. The Cream Legbar is a little peanut, through. 😊
I usually herd them in and out of the openings a couple of times once they're in place, and they seem to remember it from there.
I just came out to open the doors again, and my broody went after the white chick. Again. Must be something she doesn’t like. Now the babies are being mich more careful when they see her coming. Already a difference in how fast they get back. Now they’ll have to maneuver the path to the next extended run (all fenced). Fingers crossed.

I just came out to open the doors again, and my broody went after the white chick. Again. Must be something she doesn’t like. Now the babies are being mich more careful when they see her coming. Already a difference in how fast they get back. Now they’ll have to maneuver the path to the next extended run (all fenced). Fingers crossed.
BRoodies can be temperamental, so that's probably part of it. The chicks need to learn to avoid her or navigate away from her, so while I'd keep an eye on it, it'd be more to make sure the chicks respond appropriately and a little less on what she's doing, provided she's not harming them.

Went back out again to supervise. All 7 non-broody hens were in and out of the covered run with the babies, and all went really well. It’s just the broody and her unexpected moods. I think we will give them a few hours here and there together each day, without intervention (unless someone gets pinned agains the fencing by multiple hens) for a few days, and then leave the doors open all day every day.

I have to go in to work for a few hours Monday, and run errands tomorrow, so I’m going to wait until Tuesday or Wednesday to leave them be all day when at least I can hear panicked chirping from my back window.

Back
Top Bottom