How can i make an automatic egg turner???

I have one auto turner, and older model LG turner. I'm wondering if the motor is strong enough to handle moving more than one tray, if they are light-weight, well balanced, and loosely hinged so they move easily. It wouldn't be all that hard to connect the trays, looking at how you did yours, Toxo.
Nice job, BTW. Thanks for such a nice BYC page!

Quote:
Thanks Jenny. I've slowed down on finishing it because I'll be going away for a couple of weeks end August beginning September so I'll fire it up when I come back.

Don't know the configuration of bators you mention but I always try to use a bit of logic and a bit of common sense. Maybe you could try weighing your loaded tray, then doubling it to get the weight your motor will need to handle. Then, fix an arm to the motor shaft (the length of the arm will be dictated by the amount of movement of the trays from 45 degrees up to 45 degrees down). Then you can just fix that amount of weight to the arm to see if the motor is gonna struggle.
I noticed that the weight of the tray is heaviest in the 45 degree position so this is where you would take your measurements. I suppose because of the liquid in the egg flowing to the down side creating a slight imbalance..

if i removed the ledge in my fridge at the bottom i would have more space but i would have a larger uninsulated area as it would only be blocked by a thin sheet of wood or metal, should i do it???
hmm.png

Quote:
If you need more space, then take it out. Lots of ways to insulate. But If I were doing a fridge, I'd be putting all the gubbins in there out of the way and giving more space at the top. I'd extend the ledge to the front giving you somewhere to put tools, spares whatever. The extended ledge would then make a great hatcher. Bear in mind also the motor you are using might be limited as far as lots of trays are concerned.

Paul

if i remove the ledge at the bottom i can use the space for the motor so it has plenty of room to operate properly, i don't think i will install any other trays.

Last edited:
Quote:
I can't envisage how you see it working, pulleys,cams, gears etc. You are going to need an upright surface of some kind to bolt the motor on to. Maybe clamp two plates together to drill holes for the motor and shafts etc, then they'll be sure to line up when you separate them and install the shafts. Don't think you'll get away with one plate with pulleys. I think I would fix a plate for the motor under the ledge near the back so the only thing coming through the top of the ledge is the rod that attaches to the trays. Looks to me like you have lots of room in there anyway. If you extend the ledge to the front not only do you have a hatcher for when the motor isn't working, you also could put a door on your cut-out for tools and such and put a new viewing window higher up where the trays are.

Just a few ideas for you to think about. It's your bator and I've no doubt that you'll get there in the end whichever way you go.

i do plan to add another window i just need some perspex, today is the last day i can work on until the 23rd august so i will try to do as much as possible and upload some pics.

im back, i started to remove the ledge at the bottom but that is proving itself to be the hardest thing i have done yet, i will try to keep you updated

small angle grinder with a cutting disc. Hold on tight and make sure you wear safety goggles. If you can do it neatly, you can invert it to make the new floor/back.

Back
Top Bottom