How did you cope with death by fox attack?

Click this link for my story in a nutshell. I feel so empty right now. No one has chickens in this neighbourhood so they won't understand.

Please don't reply explaining why this is my fault. I already know it is. Please.
This is not an ideal investment of time for anyone to either assign blame or engage in round of tear jerking. Make adjustments to prevent further losses and move on other issues that are positive. Other subforums better for the emotional release

It isn't your fault, things happen to everyone. My own dog killed a couple of mine that found holes in the coop.

Just do your duty moving forward and try and trap or shoot the fox. Anyone in the neighborhood have a large terrier you could borrow and go looking to hunt the fox? Or a German bred bird dog like a GSP or GWP or Weimareiner? Dry and get him in his den and send the dog in to extirpate it.

You did respond to the chickens distress calls.
You did close them in asap.
You did break off the fox attack.

You cannot beat yourself up over what cannot be changed.

It stinks to lose them to a predator.

About all you can do is keep them locked up so the fox has no access.

I think the hardest part is forgiving yourself and moving on caring for the rest of them.

It isn't your fault, things happen to everyone. My own dog killed a couple of mine that found holes in the coop.

Just do your duty moving forward and try and trap or shoot the fox. Anyone in the neighborhood have a large terrier you could borrow and go looking to hunt the fox? Or a German bred bird dog like a GSP or GWP or Weimareiner? Dry and get him in his den and send the dog in to extirpate it.

I know you mean well.
I however would not risk a dog getting bit up by a fox. They are extremely fast with those teeth.
Even the best hunting dogs get bit and vets are very expensive.

I know you mean well.
I however would not risk a dog getting bit up by a fox. They are extremely fast with those teeth.
Even the best hunting dogs get bit and vets are very expensive.
Well, its part and parcel of what they do...the Continental hunting breeds that we in the US think of as bird dogs are tested on predators. In fact, if you get one from European lines that use the european registries, they don't get certified to breed until they've killed a predator in front of the breed judge.

Listen, I'd not send my dogs against a coyote, but I'd have no concerns with a Great Pyreneese handling one. I'd not send a truly short haired dog to retrieve ducks in icy water, but Id let a Labrador do it. I'd not send a Golden Retriever to take out a fox, but I'd let an earthdog or hunting dog that's bred for a modicum of fur sharpness handle the task.

I would have no problem exterminating a fox that killed any of my birds and most likely it will be back for more. A few months ago I lost a very special bird to a fox in the middle of the day. I didn't invite the fox to come and kill my Gladys and I cried but I also got the fox. They aren't endangered and since I have seen others on my game cameras.

Back
Top Bottom