How do I give safeguard to geese in drinking water? My fingers are bleeding from giving it with a syringe…

Jenbirdee

Expecting Miracles
Premium Feather Member
Aug 9, 2020
Maryland
the last 2 days I gave my 2 pilgrim geese their dose of safeguard paste in a syringe and want to switch to putting it in their drinking water for the next 3 days I have no idea how much to put in their water . ?? I don’t know how much water a goose drinks in a day ,, And if I can even use the paste form in the water, ?? I have been adding water in the syringe after I fill it to the right level with the paste, so yeah, I guess it mixes with water. And I suppose I have to take away their swimming pool or they’ll drink from that and won’t get the right dose from a bucket of water… if I can figure out how much to add in the water for two geese per 24 hours per gallon, please help if you know. I thought they weighed 10 pounds And 12 pounds but they actually weigh 10 lbs and 10.5 . I gave them 0.7 ml each of the horse paste the last two days . my ganders mouth is pretty strong and saw blade edgy sharp and cut my fingers. I guess if I have to do it that way again I need to wear gloves. So my questions are what forms of safeguard can I mix in drinking water for the geese and how much goes in the water per gallon per 24 hours?

Last edited:
Will your geese eat bread? If I have to give meds I will use a small piece of bread and hide the meds in it. So far haven’t had anyone turn it down.

Will your geese eat bread? If I have to give meds I will use a small piece of bread and hide the meds in it. So far haven’t had anyone turn it down.
they turn down bread :( and I think Im underdosing them there is confusion re dosage so Ive been giving them .7 ml safeguard horse paste but I think it should be .23ml per pound and that comes out to 2.3ml for a 10 pound goose . sigh

I am going to have to do all my ducks too but 4 of them are only 12 weeks old do you know if they get the same dosage or should i skip them because they are so new maybe they dont have giardia yet? I been seeing some watery white poops in duckyard , more than usual lately. And the 2 hens that hang out with the ducks have normal poops but they just had 2 doses of Valbazen the 2nd dose was just one week ago, so i dont want to give them safeguard already.... too much meds! ugh

I am not sure if you'd need to worm your 12 week olds. but if they have been in the same area where the others picked it up then it should probably be done.
I use a herbal wormer on my flock and it's been many years since I have used Safeguard or Valbazen.

I am not sure if you'd need to worm your 12 week olds. but if they have been in the same area where the others picked it up then it should probably be done.
I use a herbal wormer on my flock and it's been many years since I have used Safeguard or Valbazen.
Does the herbal wormer kill Giardia?

I got the last bottle they had at my tsc (goat dewormer- fenbendazole liquid yay) and I found this info in another thread>
The Safeguard liquid goat wormer dosage is 0.25ml per pound of weight given orally to each (chicken) for 5 days straight.
I'm assuming the dosage is the same for ducks and geese?

Back
Top Bottom