How do I give safeguard to geese in drinking water? My fingers are bleeding from giving it with a syringe…

OK I found some "fun facts" about Giardia :

The droppings from bathing birds
such as ducks, swans and geese are often blamed for the contamination. Because birds in the wild congregate in groups, this parasite is easily passed from bird to bird, following the birds on their migratory journey.

Infected birds spread Giardia through their fecal matter and non-infected birds get infected through ingestion of contaminated water sources.

Giardia is distributed worldwide in lakes, ponds, rivers, and streams. It is even found in high quality water sources with no municipal wastewater discharges. All surface waters probably contain Giardia, and whether cysts are detected depends largely on the methods used to collect and analyze water samples.

In North America it has been estimated that about 7% of dogs carry Giardia, but most of them are not sick at all.

if you have a small water feature in your back yard, or leave a water dish outside for your dog, visiting raccoons can leave the parasite behind.

Giardia cysts on the lawn can only be killed by direct sunlight drying them.

Well that is interesting. My sons Lab when just a tiny pup had Giardia when they brought him home from the breeder. Never did know where he got it from, now with this info it's more clear.

Maybe Im not doing this right but I use topical s. Eprinex 1 time a year. Apply it under the wing. When I had testing my bird was all clean. So please if Im doing something wrong or not getting the right thing let me know really.

Back
Top Bottom