How do I hatch Red layers?

Your “red layers” won’t breed true. I would take the RIR with them and collect the white-tailed offspring. Breed the white tailed offspring together or with their mother. Either way, they will not breed true, but you will get something that *looks* like a red layer.
Thank you, I just read the same this morning. Apparently Lohmann Brown and ISA Browns (I think these are the European equivalent of the USA Golden comets), are a cross between RIR and some white, most often White Plymouth Rock. And apparently since they are hybrids they do not produce healthy offspring, one article was saying all offspring have kidney problems (due to the fact that they are designed to lay many eggs). I have put my RIR rooster in that flock, so I will load the incubator around mid-March. I also found a neighbor has a rooster of the same cross and the rooster is white - both Lohmann Brown and ISA brown are auto-sexed. But since they won't breed true and the offspring is not expected to be healthy, maybe I won't even try with the white hybrid rooster.
I will try to find a White Plymouth Rock rooster... not sure if we have any at all in the country...

Nice quote in your signature..

Thank you, I just read the same this morning. Apparently Lohmann Brown and ISA Browns (I think these are the European equivalent of the USA Golden comets), are a cross between RIR and some white, most often White Plymouth Rock. And apparently since they are hybrids they do not produce healthy offspring, one article was saying all offspring have kidney problems (due to the fact that they are designed to lay many eggs). I have put my RIR rooster in that flock, so I will load the incubator around mid-March. I also found a neighbor has a rooster of the same cross and the rooster is white - both Lohmann Brown and ISA brown are auto-sexed. But since they won't breed true and the offspring is not expected to be healthy, maybe I won't even try with the white hybrid rooster.
I will try to find a White Plymouth Rock rooster... not sure if we have any at all in the country...

Nice quote in your signature..
The offspring should be healthy. They aren’t “hybrids” in the species sense. They just don’t breed true.

Back
Top Bottom