How do I keep raccoons away

I am so sorry that happened. Really wanted to be wrong. We have a hardware cloth covered coop too. I have a latch that's hard for me to latch. We have dogs baking near then all day and night if something alerts them. And I still watch for them. Went to the backyard near their coop lady night with a flashlight to shine or in the surrounding area looking for eyes to seev what wad around. Only one brave bunny rabbit. But am so afraid of missing something if I can prevent it.

No way to cover all the bases. This flock you are getting will benefit from the added knowledge. Wish you the best.

You need to make sure trapping is legal where you live. However, IF it's legal This trap is outstanding (by report ;) ). The only caveat is, there is no option of catch and release; the raccoon will have to be dispatched.

I can testify to that, we spent a month of trying before we were able to get a coon in the cage trap, then we started using those traps, and we caught them all 1 a day. it was amazing, and their is no danger of catching other animals, so it is perfectly safe to use.

Quote:
Here is a video of a guy releasing a coon ... slightly different situation ... coon caught not, trying to catch coon ...

0.jpg

I don't know aart ... just going by what he said on the video ... something about a coon hunter's land or something ... my point was that it is possible to let them go, if you choose too, and a single person can do it ... but, I wouldn't!

Down in the comments ...

He doesn't come out and say what trap it is ... but ... sounds like a coil spring trap (but could be a "longarm" hard to see) ... not a dog proof ... as why would someone set a "dog-proof" for a fox or coyote?

Fixed photo link - doesn't work when I use my netbook, but does from phone ????

Last edited:
Down in the comments ...

He doesn't come out and say what trap it is ... but ... sounds like a coil spring trap (but could be a "longarm" hard to see) ... not a dog proof ... as why would someone set a "dog-proof" for a fox or coyote?

Fixed photo link - doesn't work when I use my netbook, but does from phone ????
Ahh, thought it was a dogprooof...my mistake...thought the discussion was about those, so made an assumption.

Was mighty risky the way he released that thing....(shudders)....but I guess he knows what he's doing.

Actually Mr Whippy and I got off on a little rabbit trail back in posts 133 & 134 ... which lead down this rabbit hole ...
big_smile.png

I too thought he was a bit too close to that coon when releasing it! Didn't seem like his first time though ...

frow.gif

Last edited:
I was going to say, that doesn't look like a dog-proof trap.

Why dog proof? Because my dogs roam the farm (terriers and Rhodesian ridgebacks). We don't bait with stuff the cats would like, so there's no reason for them to poke at the traps.

Hi, I am from Markham. I am having some serious trouble with raccoon's here. They are messing up with my chickens. They already killed 3 of them. I have a dog and that doesn't seem to help at all. I am planning on calling A1 Checkmate team for removing these raccoon's. How much will it cost for raccoon removal? Do they have a fixed rate or do they give a quote after inspecting the place?

Back
Top Bottom