How do I keep raccoons away

Raccoons are a serious problem where there are pets at home. Chickens are good prey for raccoons. Traditional trapping methods seem to go awry and the effort in vain. I would suggest you to hire an animal and pest removal service to get the raccoons out of your compound. I too had a raccoon problem and used ammonia and vinegar to deter them, but it wasn’t an ideal solution. Then I hired a professional raccoon removal team from Toronto since I reside there.

You need to make sure trapping is legal where you live. However, IF it's legal This trap is outstanding (by report ;) ). The only caveat is, there is no option of catch and release; the raccoon will have to be dispatched.

Last edited:
You need to make sure trapping is legal where you live.  However, IF it's legal  This trap is outstanding  (by report ;) ).  The only caveat is, there is no option of catch and release; the raccoon will have to be dispatched.

They actually can be released ... Not sure why someone would want to though ...

From - http://www.coondawgs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=129493

Canadian Hillbilly says

I am a fur trapper and have released hundreds of live coons over the years from footholds. Mostly because they had lesser quality hides. All u need to do is hold em down wit a stick or ur boot.grabe them by the scruff with a good pair of gloves. Then you can release them, and put them in a sack or cage or on a rope, whichever training method u prefer. A live trap is a lot easier and less stressful on u and the coon though. Lol

Or ... You could use one of these release sticks ... http://www.fntpost.com/Categories/Trapping/Animal+Handling+Equipment/Animal+Release+Sticks/

But ... I'd just shoot it!

They actually can be released ... Not sure why someone would want to though ...

From - http://www.coondawgs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=129493

Canadian Hillbilly says
Or ... You could use one of these release sticks ... http://www.fntpost.com/Categories/Trapping/Animal+Handling+Equipment/Animal+Release+Sticks/

But ... I'd just shoot it!

Agreed. However, seeing how the linked trap works, and the strength of the spring, I would never try to release it while holding down the raccoon by myself. Two people? maybe. But as you said, why would you ever do that? :)

So much raccoon hate up in here! We have frequent raccoon visitors that like to tease the cat and dogs, and yes, have destroyed our flock before. That was when we were rather naive. Didn't even occur to me that something would reach through the bars of a cage, silly me lol. Even after many beheaded chickens and stolen cat food, I still love raccoons. They're one of my favourite animals. They're ridiculously smart and very handsome; whether or not you can appreciate that is another story.
I personally think we humans hate what we think can beat us. It's always the smart animals that outfox us and make us pull out our hair lol.
The key is just using your noggin. Build strong from the beginning, don't try to strengthen a weak coop after you lose birds. They ARE just another hungry animal, not scheming murderous masterminds. :)

If you remove a racoon from your environment another one ore two are going to came to your territory. Hiring any services is only temporary solution and a total waste of money. I had racoons killing my hens through 2X4" cage mesh, by grabbing them by necks and eating the head and neck. You need to secure your livestock by cage with 1X0.5 mesh or concrete building, make sure they can not dig under.

I have done that, but I am still at war with coons and another disgusting predator species.

I kill as many as I can and throw their carcasses to the vultures.

Can not reveal publicly my method cause peta and other idiots would attack me.

If you want to know send me a private email

Yes coons can easily kill your chickens through chicken wire not by getting in, but by catching their heads and eating their heads and necks, happened to me before I got really smart with them.

So much raccoon hate up in here! We have frequent raccoon visitors that like to tease the cat and dogs, and yes, have destroyed our flock before. That was when we were rather naive. Didn't even occur to me that something would reach through the bars of a cage, silly me lol. Even after many beheaded chickens and stolen cat food, I still love raccoons. They're one of my favourite animals. They're ridiculously smart and very handsome; whether or not you can appreciate that is another story.
I personally think we humans hate what we think can beat us. It's always the smart animals that outfox us and make us pull out our hair lol.
The key is just using your noggin. Build strong from the beginning, don't try to strengthen a weak coop after you lose birds. They ARE just another hungry animal, not scheming murderous masterminds. :)

So here's the deal for ME:

We have a small horse farm. We have dogs, cats and now chickens. I don't go out of my way to hunt down raccoons. If they stay across the creek, they can forage through the compost pile to their hearts' content. However, when they come up to the barn, workshop, garage or house, (and now chicken house), they will be killed. With 20 years' of experience sending dead raccoons to the state, we know 70% of the raccoons we kill around the house, barn and outbuildings will be rabid. That is consistent year in and year out. It has come to the point that the state has told us they do not want to test a raccoon at our place unless there's been an exposure (dog, cat, horse or human). Not killing them would lead me to many many more 8 week quarantines on my dogs and cats (thankfully the horses steer clear of raccoons).

If you don't have a rabies problem in your local raccoon population, count yourself lucky.

Back
Top Bottom