How do I know if my chicks have been vaccinated for mareks?

jenniferlamar70

Songster
Apr 24, 2016
Northern California
I bought quite a few chicks at tractor supply and then 4 from a local breeder.I'm a newbie and didn't know about mareks when I purchased my chicks. Now if they are not vaccinated I would like to get them the vaccinated. How do I know if they have received it or not?

Last edited:
My breeder does them at 1 day old. There is a lot of info on this right here...just go to the search area and put in Mareks to find info from people here. :) Good luck with your flock.

I bought quite a few chicks at tractor supply and then 4 from a local breeder.I'm a newbie and didn't know about mareks when I purchased my chicks. Now if they are not vaccinated I would like to get them the vaccinated. How do I know if they have received it or not?
as far as I know, no feed store vaccinates and definitely not TSC. You can ask vets, but for mereks they can only vaccinated within so many hours or within the first day. One of our feed stores (Granville milling) will get them vaccinated if we order 25+ of one breed but that's only way. Our hatchery offers and we got then done but we've added more than just from hatchery-I was leary and planned to get it and do myself but they were already to old.

as far as I know, no feed store vaccinates and definitely not TSC. You can ask vets, but for mereks they can only vaccinated within so many hours or within the first day. One of our feed stores (Granville milling) will get them vaccinated if we order 25+ of one breed but that's only way. Our hatchery offers and we got then done but we've added more than just from hatchery-I was leary and planned to get it and do myself but they were already to old.

Shoot so there is an age limit?

Shoot so there is an age limit?
for Maraks, yes. According to our hatchery-Meyer Hatchery-they can't be vaccinated after the first day (I asked about their chicks that are over stocked which are 2 day old). I'd put the electrolytes & probiotics powder in their water each day for first 5 days, hot days, any time they may be stressed. Ours are 6days and I'll keep doing it till moved out to coop as our weather is crazy.

for Maraks, yes. According to our hatchery-Meyer Hatchery-they can't be vaccinated after the first day (I asked about their chicks that are over stocked which are 2 day old). I'd put the electrolytes & probiotics powder in their water each day for first 5 days, hot days, any time they may be stressed. Ours are 6days and I'll keep doing it till moved out to coop as our weather is crazy.
Thanks for the advice. I just ordered some today. :)

Back
Top Bottom