How do I safely introduce my dogs to the chickens?

I respect your opinions. And we are careful with training. I do think that dogs who are trained are capable of being trusted around chickens.

The bird dogs that I raised from puppyhood learned to ignore the chickens, through training. Adult dogs can be harder, depending on the breed, the training, and individual differences. In general, terriers and sled dog types will be the most difficult, IMO. A dog that doesn't respect you as it's pack leader won't respect your ideas about chicken safety either. Mary

I guess the part I don't understand is how can we are ok if a dog chases a squirrel , chases a cat , but not the free range chickens because those are our pets???an unsupervised dog does many things we wouldn't believe , they're like small kids they will listen mostly, but they will forget or also choose to disobey.it is up to us to remove the temptations. Just as you wouldn't leave a 2 year old in the yard with chickens
1f423.png
, same goes for puppies and young hyper dogs.
The prey instinct is high in some breeds, they will chase down anything that runs away.

I have 4 dogs, and only 2 care about the chickens. Of the two, one is my smallest Bichon Frise, who is 8 and never saw a chicken before last September. Since then, she cannot control herself when I am in the coop/run. If we are both outside, I am the Alpha and she could care less about chickens in the run. When I am in the run, I give her stern instructions and she eventually sees me, but she seem so outta her mind that it takes time. In any other circumstance, she is instantly attentive. I am a good Alpha, and have been for 30 years, so I am at a loss to figure out how to deal with this. A shock collar would certainly be more forceful than my voice, but my voice has stopped her in the middle of the road, or before killing a frog or mole...but so many chickens has made her insane.

Suggestions?

Funny thing my bichon/ cocker took a chick in her mouth before I knew what had happened!

She is tightly wound and wouldn't stop chasing a frog with my voice commands alone I have to offer her something she really wants like a treat. We have a few in our pockets at all times , she is two .

Funny thing my bichon/ cocker took a chick in her mouth before I knew what had happened!

She is tightly wound and wouldn't stop chasing a frog with my voice commands alone I have to offer her something she really wants like a treat. We have a few in our pockets at all times , she is two .

Well, mine is 8, and she wouldn't know a treat if I held it in front of her. I've never used treats as a training tool, my voice, or the highway. We moved here 3 years ago and in year 1 she discovered frogs and voles, she'd never seen them before. I thought it was cool for her to get her feral on, so let her at em. In the past she had to try and kill swans, geese, ducks, and raccoons...nothing she defeated, but her name is "Cleo the Lioness" cause she'd always try. Her favorite trick is to find a squeaky toy when some guest arrives at the house...clearly she's always been prey-driven. But in all of that, since I raised nothing to sell, it was no problem.

Ok, so now chickens feed me, and her, as in sales. How do I train her to obey my command to; "Get your head outta your asp!"...cause she is shaking so much she doesn't know her name even if I touch her with a stick.

Shaking from fear? Excitement?
Is she on a leash in the coop , you know the old she goes where you go training. Make it short so she's right at you feet , she maybe just so overly excited . If she has taken down other birds in the past I honestly don't see being able to train an 8 year old that these birds are off limit cause they get us money ???to my bichon a birds a bird and to try to stop her going after my chickens when she chases the robins??? Not going to happen.

Back
Top Bottom