How do I safely introduce my Westie to the chickens??

thebifman

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 5, 2007
Staten Island, NY
Hello all:

Any ideas about how to get my Westie to share the backyard with the chickens? I have been locking him up in the house when they free range...the girls love it...he gets jealous! I always see pictures of people's cats & dogs living in harmony with the birds. I would love to have them all just get along....

Brian :eek:

it is gonna be tough now that your pup is jealous.
i have a big dog that i had major concerns about when my chicks first arrived.
I give my dog credit, she is smart, and after declaring that the chicks were "Mine!" she would curiously watch/guard them!!
all is quiet in paradise..

I introduced my dog to my chicks when I first got them. She was pretty interested and then the thrill was gone after a couple of weeks. Then I moved them outside and that renewed her interest. She chased them a couple of times trying to play with them and then after a couple of weeks the thrill was gone again!

IMO I wouldn't do it. Your dog may not try to kill but she may kill a chick by just trying to play with it. It's not worth the risk. I have 6 cats, 1 dog, 24 chickens and 1 cockatiel and the only ones that get along are the dog an one of the cats.

Last edited:
It is a highly debated issue. When it comes down to it, it's up to you. Me and a bunch of others say don't do it, but there are just as many that say give it a try. I hope that whatever you try works out for you. I really do. I know there are many people on this site that have dogs that get along wonderfully with their chickens and there are a lot of people kicking themselves in the behind because their dog killed a chicken when they thought it wouldn't happen. I wish you the best of luck with your chickens and your dog.
hugs.gif

SouthernChick, you and I always seem to chime into these posts. While we
have different approaches on the dog thing we both agree that happy and healthy
animals are the most important thing. Lately I've been keeping my dogs and
chickens apart other than keeping my ACD/Pit mix on the run when the birds
are free ranging. Having him outside keeps predators away and also keeps
the birds out of the front yard and away from the neighbors. The dog is on the
leash so it's up to the chickens to visit or not. A few will come visit him but most
just stay clear.

The chickens seem to be uncomfortable around my hound so for their sake I
keep her inside.

Thebifman,
I love Westies. They are VERY smart. Trouble is they are Terriers, a breed
which love small animals. Westies can also be quite evil.
How old are your birds? They may already be past the point of accepting the
dog. Try introducing them in controlled situations.

Hey,

Thanks to all! Yes westies are sharp yet were breed to hunt and kill. He (Squints) is the most lovable dog ever but he hates any squirrels, birds,cats or strangers in "His" yard. Southern28 chick... I will proceed with caution and only through the fence for now. As he gets older I hope he will lose interest or become there protector. PS: isn't he the handsome dog?!!!!

Last edited:
Quote:
My Scotties are not at ALL trustworthy around my chickens. No way, no how. They run right up to the pen and jam their muzzles at the nearest chicken in an attempt to get a good bite in ("Look, mom, dinner's moving!"). I grew up with Westies and I know terriers...I say, don't do it! A terrier's prey drive is just too strong to overcome in certain situations.

Amy

Back
Top Bottom