How do I water mark photos?

kennedyscochins

Songster
10 Years
Sep 1, 2009
Big Clifty
Not sure if this is the right place to post this or not. I was looking through craigslist and found an ad for cochin bantams and thought I would look. What I found was someone who was listing bantam cochins for sale but had posted MY COCHIN PICTURES FROM MY WEBSITE!!! My cochins weren't even bantams! Anyway, someone told me to water mark my photos so they couldn't be copied. How do I do that?

Watermarking your photos isn't going to stop anyone, and this I've learned. Give me your best watermarked photo, and I promise I can photoshop it. The only sure way to protect your photos is to keep the OFFline.

Sadly, once you post something on your blog, website, or public internet forum, its there for the taking. Most folks will be honest and wont steal your photo, however there are still those select few.

And you have to think about like this as well... the chance that your photo is going to be stolen, and used to make millions is slim, to absolutely no chance in fozen over hell... so why worry about it? And I'm a photographer.

Last edited:
Quote:
I looked up information about stealing photos and it is actually illegal. So, it' not really "there for the taking". The fact that they used my photos wasn't as much the problem with me as it was that they were representing my cochins as being what they had for sale. I just need info on how to keep that from happening.

Quote:
Well of course it is! It falls under theft of 'Intellectual Property.' But that doesn't stop anyone because 'Intellectual Property' doesn't really mean diddly squat unless you have the financial ability to pay a lawyer to help you enforce the law. FBI task forces aren't exactly setting up sting operations for people stealing chicken pictures - or any other pictures for that matter, mine included. If I put an image on my blog, and someone steals it, photoshops it, puts it on their website or in their magazine and makes a million dollars - it wouldn't make a bit of difference unless I had the money to support the attorney fees and court costs it would take to prove my case.

Quote:
And I'm giving you advice. You can put as many watermarks on an image as you like, but the only way to keep your images from being used by others is to NOT post them anywhere online.

Look... its even happened to me!

Look at these pictures: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=281756

Now
go to the ABA Website here: http://www.bantamclub.com/site/ Scroll down to the bottom of the page and see if anything looks familiar? The AMERICAN BANTAM ASSOCIATION even did it, and I have never given them direct written permission to publish that photo!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom