How do these weights look?

Sami

Chirping
9 Years
May 5, 2010
Barrie
Just weighed my 16 birds. Here are their weights? Do they look okay? They are Cornish cross and eight weeks.
5lbs 1oz, 6lbs 15 oz, 4lbs 9oz, 4lbs 6, 4lbs 2, 6 lbs 12oz, 5lbs 5, 6lbs 3, 4lbs 11, 6 lbs 6, 4lbs 9, 3 lbs 15oz, 5 lbs 3, 4lbs 7, 3lbs 12, and finally 5lbs 1oz. Sorry to bore with all the numbers :p. I think I read that a 6 lb will dress out at 4 lbs. I will obviously have a staggered processing dates. But wanted opinions on the weights. They are being fed grower and I just mixed in turkey finisher plus I give them clover and grass.

If you are paying that much attention to weights and feed you should do just fine. I personally also like to stagger processing for many reasons (freezer space, time of processing, and always having more fresh chickens). So, I think your on a good track. I would recommend the heavier ones first. I'm not sure that I have had that much variation in weight at 6 weeks though. I will likely weigh mine in weekly increments next batch I do.

Wish ya the best.

Hey Sami

Not sure if you have seen the growth chart that has been posted on various thread for the cornish X.

http://www.welphatchery.com/cornish_rock_care

I have a catalog from Hoover Hatchery, and in there is a chart very very similar weights.

To me it seems like yours might be a bit on the light side for their age.

my cornish x are at the weight at 6 weeks and so far no losses.

If your birds were mine I would increase the protein to them until you process if you want a bigger bird.

Thanks Yes I will definately do the heavies first. In your opinion what weight should I aim to get them to? The next weekend available for me would be after the 15th... I think the six poundrs should be at 8 lbs... Would you do them then? I will also buy another bag of turkey starter for the protein. I was pretty amazed at the variation in weights. Also by how heavy they actually felt when I was carrying them to weigh.... Very compact ... Guess that was my workout with weights :)

Just found some useful info. I just went into the barn and ripped the old tags off of the feed bags. My grower is only listed at 15% protein. No wonder I am behind in weight. I wonder why it is do low? I'll have to google to see what brand has higher protein for next time

The target you need to shoot for is what size you want your birds to be at.

Cornish game hens are just 2 to 3 lb

Some people want a smaller bird for the table, some want bigger.

You have to decide what you want, how much time you need to get them there and how much you are willing to spend in feed to do it.

Just weighed my 16 birds. Here are their weights? Do they look okay? They are Cornish cross and eight weeks.
5lbs 1oz, 6lbs 15 oz, 4lbs 9oz, 4lbs 6, 4lbs 2, 6 lbs 12oz, 5lbs 5, 6lbs 3, 4lbs 11, 6 lbs 6, 4lbs 9, 3 lbs 15oz, 5 lbs 3, 4lbs 7, 3lbs 12, and finally 5lbs 1oz. Sorry to bore with all the numbers :p. I think I read that a 6 lb will dress out at 4 lbs. I will obviously have a staggered processing dates. But wanted opinions on the weights. They are being fed grower and I just mixed in turkey finisher plus I give them clover and grass.
My CX were 6 weeks yesterday and have an average weight of 7 pounds each. (I weighed 10 of the 53 and averaged). I have fed 20% Dumor starter/grower exclusively since day 1. Yours seem a bit light to me. Have you compared feed consumption to the chart and calculated conversion ratio? Are you feeding 24/7 or 12 on/ 12 off? What's the protein content of the feed?

Up the protein I used multi flock 22% thru 7 weeks and processed them all at 7 weeks largest was just over 9 pounds and smallest just over 5 pounds processed. the weigfhts your showing I had on some at 4-5 weeks.

but I personally if I do them again will process at 6 weeks for a avg weight of 5-6 pounds each.

Ours are usually around 4-7 pounds dressed weight at 8 weeks. Your 15% protein is probably why they're a little lighter.

We always have variations in weight like that. The roosters are on the large side, the girls are usually smaller, and then there always seem to be a few tiny ones. It's not usual that we'll have a few 7 pounders and a few 3 pounds in the same batch, but most will be right around 5 pounds.

Back
Top Bottom