How do you cull chickens?

So I have to put one of my hens down. I been prolonging it. I have an empty milk jug. Gonna hang her upside down so she goes to sleep and cull.

Here is the thing- I have never done it before. I was curious if there is a video on it?
We did a neck pull on an injured chicken. My husband said that was very hard to do and she didn’t go the first time. I did watch a video on that.

I might have to go find a farmer and ask them to do it- sigh.
I guess I will put on my big girl boots and figure this out. I don’t want the hen to suffer anymore- she has a bad leg- nests on the floor and walking is hard for her. She is in pain for sure- we call her gimpy. She has been this way for awhile but lately it has progressed. It is time.
The cold will just make her aches worst.

If you know of a video on this? I tried YouTube. And they skip the deed. Do I use an ax or knife and sorry if I being blunt. I will probably cry my eyes out after this. 😞
I’m surprised that this method hasn’t come up. I use ether (sold as carburetor cleaner). I hold the chicken and stroke her, while holding a cloth with the ether over her peak. She quickly ”goes to sleep”.

Sorry you have to do this. It is often the right thing to do but it’s emotionally hard.

Bleeding out is not a humane killing method so I use the broomstick method at night with the red light on my head lamp on instead of the white light. That helps keep the chicken calm.

This video shows the whole process. One part that isn’t explicitly covered is that you can dig a little groove in the ground with your heel to make sure the hen’s breathing isn’t stopped right before you snap the neck. That will help her not panic.

Good luck to you and your hen.
This bird seems to be flapping a hell of a lot longer than a bird whose head was cleanly cut off.

So I have to put one of my hens down. I been prolonging it. I have an empty milk jug. Gonna hang her upside down so she goes to sleep and cull.

Here is the thing- I have never done it before. I was curious if there is a video on it?
We did a neck pull on an injured chicken. My husband said that was very hard to do and she didn’t go the first time. I did watch a video on that.

I guess I will put on my big girl boots and figure this out. I don’t want the hen to suffer anymore- she has a bad leg- nests on the floor and walking is hard for her. She is in pain for sure- we call her gimpy. She has been this way for awhile but lately it has progressed. It is time.

If you know of a video on this? I tried YouTube. And they skip the deed. Do I use an ax or knife and sorry if I being blunt. I will probably cry my eyes out after this. 😞
If you haven't already done the cull, I find the hatchet on a chopping block the easiest. Get your block and axe ready. I am assuming your axe is already sharp. Hold her to yourself and speak calmly. Holding her upside down, she will trance calmly. Set her head on the block...say a little prayer for peace and chop the head off with one hard, firm chop. The axe should stay in the block from the force and hold the hen steady with both hands on the ground. She will try to flap and struggle. It is normal. Nerves releasing death. She is gone and out of pain. These movements are not felt by her. Blessings you can give her peace. Prayers sent your way.

My apologies if this is a dumb questions, but why not take her to the vet to be humanely euthanized?

Sorry you have to do this. It is often the right thing to do but it’s emotionally hard.

Bleeding out is not a humane killing method so I use the broomstick method at night with the red light on my head lamp on instead of the white light. That helps keep the chicken calm.

This video shows the whole process. One part that isn’t explicitly covered is that you can dig a little groove in the ground with your heel to make sure the hen’s breathing isn’t stopped right before you snap the neck. That will help her not panic.

Good luck to you and your hen.
Thank you for posting this video. I’ve watched a few, this seems easier on the chicken as well as me.

I am so sorry; you probably did this already. I wanted to let you know that there are homeopathic remedies that will help with the pain, and in other cases when you have them, the chicken could be allowed to die a natural death. Arnica or Ledum would help her feel better, most likely, and Tarentula cubensis would definitely ease her pain (Kent, a famous homeopathic physician, said that the Tarentula cubensis is better than morphine for the dying man). Homeopathic remedies work exactly the same in animal as they do on people. You can order from Hahnemannlabs.com. I would be glad to answer any questions you might have. Again, I'm really sorry. I get very attached to our animals as well.

This is sad and I'm sorry for your loss. Have you considered bringing her to a vet and having her medically euthanized? They could sedate her first and if it goes as planned, it should be a fairly quick and easy death. Good luck with whatever you decide though - in any case, I hope she passes easily.

I am so sorry; you probably did this already. I wanted to let you know that there are homeopathic remedies that will help with the pain, and in other cases when you have them, the chicken could be allowed to die a natural death. Arnica or Ledum would help her feel better, most likely, and Tarentula cubensis would definitely ease her pain (Kent, a famous homeopathic physician, said that the Tarentula cubensis is better than morphine for the dying man). Homeopathic remedies work exactly the same in animal as they do on people. You can order from Hahnemannlabs.com. I would be glad to answer any questions you might have. Again, I'm really sorry. I get very attached to our animals as well.
This website is a good resource that I was unaware of. Thank you for sharing.

I used this method on one of mine. I didn't pull hard enough the first time and had to pull again. Pull as hard as you can!

Back
Top Bottom